What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Transform of Smart Object

puppychew

Power User
Hello -
I combined 3 layers into a smart object. However when I attempt to do a free transform, the entire image is boxed in.

I would like to upload the file but am having difficulty. Is there a size limit for upload? It is 15MB

If you only want to transform one object, double click the smart object, this will open the SO and you can transform the one you want, when done, close the document and save.

Hi - I want to transform all 3 together but the transform box fills the screen not the object. I would like to post the file but need help with that.

Hi - I want to transform all 3 together but the transform box fills the screen not the object. I would like to post the file but need help with that.
Before you open the SO or after?

If you transform the SO without opening, all three objects will transform together. Don't worry about the size of the transform box.

You don't need to upload the PSD file, just upload a screenshot.

The SO is made of of 3 layers. I want to transform them as one. Notice the upper left window. The layers are a window shade, a pull, and glass.

I want to take that SO, duplicate it for each window and adjust it to fit by transforming it. However as you see the transform box is gigantic.
Untitled-1.jpg

The layer you are trying to transform is not a smart object. Only your top layer (sash) is a smart object.

It is as SO. When I click enter transform, the little box in the corner disappears on the layer until the transformation is completed.

It is as SO. When I click enter transform, the little box in the corner disappears on the layer until the transformation is completed.

It shouldn't do that, mine doesn't. What version of Ps are you using?

Ok, I can see that the transform box is that of a smart object. I don't know why the icon disappears during the process in 5.

Anyway, In your screenshot, on the window layer, how many layers do you have within this SO?

Even with the large transform window, does it only trans form the window? What happens when you transform?

The wait time is killing me! LOL!!

If you make the PSD smaller you can upload the file in the same way you uploaded the screenshot.

I really can't transform it to fit. The box is too large to manage.

There are 3 layers in the SO. Two of the layers are also SO but not multiple layers. It looks like I may have to transform each layer separately. I have experienced this problem many times before and just tried to work around it but that's not always easy.

You can also use off site file and image hosting. I use Mediafire

I think there is a solution, but due to the slow responses, it would be much easier to have the file. Sorry, you were right to begin with.

Last edited:
The file I downloaded is not the same as the one you posted in your screenshot.

Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 9.10.36 PM.png

This is the screenshot of the file containing the troubled smart object layer.......
Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 9.14.06 PM.png

Where is the window layer in the PSD I downloaded? What are you needing to do with the file I downloaded?

The SO labeled window is the combination of pull, shades, and glass.
When I uploaded the file, I removed the SO so you would be able to recreate it with the 3 layers listed above and better see what happens. Need to run out and will be back in 1.5 hours.

OK, I see. Knowing that would have saved me some time.

The problem is the adjustment layers. Solution...........group the layers into a smart object first before adding any adjustment layer, then double click the SO to edit (psb) and then add the adjustment layers, close and save.

Now when you attempt to transform the SO, your transform box will be normal.

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 11.10.13 AM.png

Nice one IamSam

I didn't get a chance to look at this before it was solved but having looked at it now I see its quiet a cheeky little problem.

Glad to see this doesn't happen in later versions.....well, 2014 anyway.

Thanks for the solution.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back