What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting layer on the back of an inverted selection

quebecguitare

Hello, thank you for reading my first thread!

I need help, I want to cut the contour of the shape overlapping guitar headstock, removing the black. This is a png, I want the holes and this shape to be transparent, not white!

I think it's a layer mask that I need.

Any clues? I'm a newbie.

Thank you
Best Regards

headstock_384x256px_v2.png

MrToM

Guru
Its a very small image to work with but try this...

1. Use the 'Magic Wand' tool with tolerance of zero, Anti-alias ON, contiguous OFF, and click within the 'White' pixels.
2. Hit delete.
3. Create a new layer BELOW the only one you have.....fill with Black. (RGB = 0,0,0)
4. Select the original layer and use Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E to stamp the layers...this will create a new layer at the top of the stack.
5. Set the tolerance of the 'Magic Wand' tool to one (1).
6. Click something Black.
7. INVERT the selection using Ctrl + Shift + I
8. Turn OFF the top layer.
9. With the original layer selected, make the foreground BLACK (0,0,0) and using ALT + DELETE fill the selection with BLACK.
10. Keep holding ALT and press DELETE until all traces of the original 'shape' are gone....for me this was about 9 times.
11. Turn OFF the bottom layer.

Regards.
MrToM.

quebecguitare

Hi MtTom, thank you for your help.

I get up to the no. 9 in the list.
I have a hard time following the identification of the different layer you list in your commands.
Could you be more precise, there are 2 layers initially, the headstock and the flower.

Thank you
Regards

MrToM

Guru
...I have a hard time following the identification of the different layer you list in your commands.
Could you be more precise, there are 2 layers initially, the headstock and the flower...
My instructions are based on the image you provided.....a flattened PNG image.

That's as 'precise' as I can get with that image.

If you provide the PSD file then the workflow will be very different and probably more easy for you to follow.

I can only work with what you provide.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Actually....scrap that.....and try this instead:

1. CTRL + CLICK the White logo shape layer THUMBNAIL.
2. Then turn this layer off.....(White logo.)
3. Select the bottom layer, (Black headstock), and either:

A. Hit DELETE. this will permanently remove the pixels within the marquee from that layer.
B. INVERT the selection and ADD a layer mask....3rd icon from the LEFT at the bottom of the layers panel.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Geeze....could you have been any more frugal with the info? :rofl:

OK....SCRAP ALL THE ABOVE....nearly.

What you have there is a SMART OBJECT which is linked to an AI FILE.

I don't know why this is the case but for whatever reason you would be better off cutting the shape out of the AI file in ILLUSTRATOR rather than in PS.....PS should update automatically once that file is saved....job done.

As far as I know your only option in PS is to make a copy of that layer, the Headstock, rasterize it and follow my instructions above.

You would then obviously turn off the original 'Headstock' smart object layer.

Depending on 'why' that layer is an AI smart object will dictate what method to use....it depends on your workflow.

Regards.
MrToM.

quebecguitare

Hi Tom, This worked perfect!
I knew there was a simpler way. Brilliant!

1. CTRL + CLICK the White logo shape layer THUMBNAIL.
2. Then turn this layer off.....(White logo.)
3. Select the bottom layer, (Black headstock), and either:

A. Hit DELETE. this will permanently remove the pixels within the marquee from that layer.
B. INVERT the selection and ADD a layer mask....3rd icon from the LEFT at the bottom of the layers panel.

Best Regards