What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Question] PS Auto Blend Layer Not Stacking In Correct Order

Shoghi Shams

Hey guys,

New to the forum here, thanks for the help!

I have 3 images that I would like to stack. Of the 3 images, the subject in 2 of them slightly overlap. I am unable to change the order in which they are stacked, so I can have the one I prefer on the top.

I have 3 layers, I select them all and auto align. Then I auto blend layer. The final result looks great, but again, the order is wrong. I've tried simply dragging the layers into different orders, as well as ARRANGE>REVERSE. Nothing I've tried has worked.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Without seeing what your trying to do, and as long as you have not closed the document, use your history panel to restore the images back to their original state before you made the auto changes. Then re-position the layers the way you want and redo the auto changes. Other wise just start from scratch.

Shoghi Shams

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Without seeing what your trying to do, and as long as you have not closed the document, use your history panel to restore the images back to their original state before you made the auto changes. Then re-position the layers the way you want and redo the auto changes. Other wise just start from scratch.

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply!

Just a bit more details on what I'm doing: I have 3 shots of a hummingbird flying towards and eating at a feeder. What I'm trying to do is merge the 3 shots into one. The shots were taking off a tripod, so aligning them was no problem. In 2 of the shots, the bird slightly overlaps each other. I would like the image of the bird closest to the feed (Pic 1) ON TOP of the one before it (Pic 2). No matter how I name the files, in what order I place them , Pic 2 will always be on top of Pic 1.

When you say "re-position the layers", what exactly do you mean? Because I'm sure I've tried changing the orders around, but nothing worked. I even tried leaving Pic 2 as a background layer. Still didn't work.

Any ideas? Can I provide any other details?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, perhaps I'm not understanding you at all. The layers stay exactly where you put them. If you want pic1 to be on top of pic2, then move the layer and that's where it will stay. You highlight a layer then click and drag it above the layer above it or below the layer below it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you take a screen shot of your layers panel?

MrToM

Guru
Just to make sure you know this.....you cannot move layers below a background layer.

That is to say an Adobe Photoshop 'background' layer. This must be, and always will be, at the very bottom.

You should be able to convert any background layer to a regular layer by right clicking it and choosing 'Layer From Background'. Converting to a regular layer has changed with virtually every new release but this method I think is common throughout.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In the first screenshot you ave layer 1 below layer 2, is that how you want it?

In your second screenshot, what happens when you turn off Layer 2 (merged)?

Shoghi Shams

Just to make sure you know this.....you cannot move layers below a background layer.

That is to say an Adobe Photoshop 'background' layer. This must be, and always will be, at the very bottom.

You should be able to convert any background layer to a regular layer by right clicking it and choosing 'Layer From Background'. Converting to a regular layer has changed with virtually every new release but this method I think is common throughout.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm definitely aware of the background in the bottom rule. Which is why I thought setting it as background would work. I wanted Pic 1 on top of Pic 2, so I set Pic 2 as background and Pic 1 as a layer above it. But when I auto blend, the background image somehow goes above the other layer.

NOTE: After using the auto align before the auto blend, the background layer creases to be a background layer and becomes a regular layer, but remains at the very bottom. Still makes no difference. Pic 2 is still on Pic 1.

Shoghi Shams

In the first screenshot you ave layer 1 below layer 2, is that how you want it?

In your second screenshot, what happens when you turn off Layer 2 (merged)?

1. Layer 1 and 2 from the first screenshot doesn't overlap each other at all, so it doesn't matter which order those go, just as long as they blend on top of the background image.

2. Nothing happens. At least not to my naked eye.

Shoghi Shams

Can you drag layer 2 below layer 1?

Yes. I've tried every order of the 3 possible. The end result is the same..

4.jpg

Now that I look at it.. I think its just an actual blend of the two image. In opposed to one being on top of the other. The thing is.. I did it this morning and it worked! I just can't reproduce it.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. Layer 1 and 2 from the first screenshot doesn't overlap each other at all, so it doesn't matter which order those go, just as long as they blend on top of the background image.

2. Nothing happens. At least not to my naked eye.
Ok good, so everything is in order. Problem solved?

MrToM

Guru
I'm not sure what you expect to happen when using auto 'blend'.

Its doing exactly what its supposed to, and giving you the result of the 'blended' layers.

Do you really want to auto 'blend' these images?

What result are you trying to achieve?

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, do you mind posting the three original images so we can try it for ourselves?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Its doing exactly what its supposed to, and giving you the result of the 'blended' layers.

Regards.
MrToM.
I agree, I would not be using auto blend.

Shoghi Shams

Regards.
MrToM.

I'm trying to merge the 3 images into one. The shots were taken with identical backgrounds, with very little that overlaps. I guess I'm trying to stack the images in a certain order and then merge them into one shot.

I was using CC 2014 yesterday and it worked perfectly. The auto blend didn't blend the overlap. Today, I'm using CC 2015, and I can't reproduce what I did yesterday. I didn't keep the shots because 2014 wouldn't export luminacity lettings, so I had to update to 2015. Anyways. Not the point.

How would you guys do a merge, blend, stack? Whatever it's actually called?

I do all my correction in LR and then export it to PS as layers, then align, then blend. That's been my flow so far.

EDIT

Okay.. I must be on crack. Found an image from yesterday's export and yes, the blend did in fact blend. Duh. Sorry, my bad guys. But my question still stands. How??

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is the order that the layers should appear before you auto blend.
Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 7.02.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 7.02.16 PM.png

I would just blend the layer myself using the Brush Tool and layer masks.