What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this an effect you can do in Photoshop or Illustrator?

Tribegal

Hello all,

Photoshop newbie here! I'm wondering if the effect in the attached photo is something that can be done in photoshop. I have an inkling it's something better suited for Illustrator, but eh.

dropshadow example.png

How do you get the orange outline to go around the dropshadow. Is the black space between the white letters and the orange outline even a drop shadow? Also, how do you make the drow shadowy black space transparent so that you can put it on different color backgrounds?

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

This can easily be done in Photoshop.

The orange/red line around the drop shadow is just a layer style stroke effect added to a copy of the text layer in black and then moved down and to the right.

Here's a quick example without the grunge factor.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.35.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.39.35 AM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a version which is a little more true to the original as far as strokes are concerned.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.51.39 AM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As far as making the drop shadow transparent..........it can be done, but it would be really hard to explain.
If I have time tomorrow, I will try and make a quick tut video on the effect.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 1.07.11 AM.png

Last edited:

Tribegal

Whoa! That was fast. I guess you guys aren't photoshopgurus for nothing, lol.Thank you so much IamSam! I think I can follow this. As far as the transparent drop shadow, I look forward to your video. Thanks again!

Tribegal

Also, in the purple one, how would you take the black stroke out and make it transparent all around so the purple shows. I want to put these graphics on shirts and I want to be able to use them on different color shirts. I want transparency all around the white text so the color of the shirt appears as the stroke around it and dropshadow. Does that make sense?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, in the purple one, how would you take the black stroke out and make it transparent all around so the purple shows. I want to put these graphics on shirts and I want to be able to use them on different color shirts. I want transparency all around the white text so the color of the shirt appears as the stroke around it and dropshadow. Does that make sense?
Not sure what you mean. Like this?

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 9.54.01 PM.png

Tribegal

Yes! Exactly like that! I've been playing around with the previous steps and I can pretty much get everything except the transparent parts. It's so frustrating, but it's mostly because I picked some more advanced concepts to tackle as a newbie. lol

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No smart objects were used.

Ok let me see if I can explain what I have done.

The above effect was created using three text layers.

This was the first. It was the main text layer with a stroke via layer style.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.35.02 PM.png

The second layer was just a copy of the first only I made the text black.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.37.19 PM.png

I used the Move Tool to move layer 2 down and to the right to simulate a drop shadow.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.39.47 PM.png

More to come in next post...........

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Next, I highlighted layers 1 and 2 and duplicated them (Cmd/Cntrl + J) the merged them (Cmd/Cntrl + E).
This process rastorizes the layers. I then selected the layers content by hitting Cmd/Cntrl + mouse click the layers thumbnail.
I filled the selection with white and stroked it with red.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.45.30 PM.png

Next, I removed the white by lowering the layers fill opacity.
I was left with just the stroke.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.48.38 PM.png

Now we have this with all three layers turned on....
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.49.49 PM.png

All that's left to do is to go back to layer 2 and turn it's layers fill opacity to 0%.
Go back to layer 1 and turn off it's stroke.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.50.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 11.52.16 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Disregard the stroke/effects on layer 2 (Those were there from another experiment).

Tribegal

This is precisely what I needed, and it seems quite simpler than I imagined. Thank you so much, IamSam for your help! :youtheman:

Tom Mann

Guru
As always, superb advice by Sam.

FWIW, as a little aside, I'll add that the few times I've needed something like this, but not all the control described above, I've simply iteratively used the drop shadow layer effect followed by the "merge UP" command (ALT+SHIFT+CNTL+E) to build up a series of layers, each containing one more ring. For the example below, I used zero displacement, a "spread" of around 90%, and the contour that looks like an upside-down parabola. To save memory, one can delete lower layers in the stack as you build your way upwards.

Once you get into the rhythm of the necessary keystrokes, one can build up a deeply nested set of external, equally-spaced, narrow (if you want) colored rings very quickly. With that particular contour (parabolic), as you can see, the quasi-annular spaces between the (red) rings are transparent. (see attached).

If, with each iteration or every several iterations, one changes the color or the other parameters of the drop shadow as you are building up the layer stack, one can get a dizzying array of fx.

Tom M

Attachments

• Untitled-1-01.jpg
    Untitled-1-01.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: