What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple border that i cant do lol

mikewhybother

Hey there guys, sorry to bother you all but im trying to find a way to do this simple border, heres the link to a youtube thumbnail with it https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4Wa5G9kMQ6E/mqdefault.jpg . Im making a new layer white, putting the fill on 0 and then adding a stroke and dropping the opacity on it to make it looks kinda transparent but how do i do the shadow type as drop shadows only go on one directions so you will only have one side with the shadow on it.

this one here clearly shows the shadow on all of it around the border :S https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rlnXIZRcKlk/mqdefault.jpg

sorry if this is super basic i just cant seem to do it! :(

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...drop shadows only go on one directions so you will only have one side with the shadow on it...
Not too sure what you mean by this....drop shadows can go in any direction you want.

If you set the distance to zero though you can get an even shadow all the way around.....is that what you need?

Not sure if that answers your question.

If not, could you clarify exactly what it is you are trying to do with dropshadow?

Regards.
MrToM.

mikewhybother

Not too sure what you mean by this....drop shadows can go in any direction you want.

If you set the distance to zero though you can get an even shadow all the way around.....is that what you need?

If not, could you clarify exactly what it is you are trying to do with dropshadow?

Regards.
MrToM.

Yeh exactly like that. I meant above about the drop shadow. Say I have 5 different layers all with drop shadows on. If I change the angle of one it changes them all so I couldn't just add 2 drop shadows to the layer facing each side to give it that shadow effect all round. How did you do that Sam?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Once you have your border created.
Make a selection of the inside of the border.
Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 11.03.48 PM.png

On a new layer below the border layer, fill the selection with white.
Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 11.04.07 PM.png

Lower the fill opacity and add an Inner Glow.
Select the color.
Set the Blend mode to Normal.
Adjust to your liking.
Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 11.04.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-27 at 11.09.31 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Sam,

Any reason why you went with 'Inner Glow' and not the more obvious 'Inner Shadow'...?

Do you think its better...more control....does it come with wash wipe..?

Just curious.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Sam,

Any reason why you went with 'Inner Glow' and not the more obvious 'Inner Shadow'...?

Do you think its better...more control....does it come with wash wipe..?

Just curious.

Regards.
MrToM.

Not really, they both will work. As you know, just lower the distance in inner shadow and it's about the same. Inner glow may be slightly more adjustable than inner shadow. It's a coin toss.

mikewhybother

mikewhybother

Regards.
MrToM.

also ty to you tom for that zero drop shadow tip i didnt even realise i could do that! i am new though lol il be using that alot thats for sure, thanks bro :D

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

A few other little 'tips' for drop shadows...

1. When changing the parameters of the drop shadow you can literally 'drag' the shadow on the canvas.....the sliders will move accordingly.

2. Once created, you can detach the drop shadow, (In fact any 'fx'), from the layer and place it on its own layer. Right click the 'fx' icon on the layer and choose 'Create Layers'. It will put each layer style on its own layer either above or below the original image depending on the effect.(Inner shadow goes above, Drop shadow goes below.)

3. You can have the layer 'Knock out' the drop shadow, or not. This means that if you do 'knock out' the shadow and then place it on its own layer it will have a 'hole' in it where the original image was. If you don't 'knock out' the shadow then it will be complete for the whole image area.

You'll find 'Layer knocks Out Drop Shadow' at the bottom of the 'Layer Style' window....when open.

Have fun.

Regards.
MrToM.

mikewhybother

No worries.

A few other little 'tips' for drop shadows...

1. When changing the parameters of the drop shadow you can literally 'drag' the shadow on the canvas.....the sliders will move accordingly.

2. Once created, you can detach the drop shadow, (In fact any 'fx'), from the layer and place it on its own layer. Right click the 'fx' icon on the layer and choose 'Create Layers'. It will put each layer style on its own layer either above or below the original image depending on the effect.(Inner shadow goes above, Drop shadow goes below.)

3. You can have the layer 'Knock out' the drop shadow, or not. This means that if you do 'knock out' the shadow and then place it on its own layer it will have a 'hole' in it where the original image was. If you don't 'knock out' the shadow then it will be complete for the whole image area.

You'll find 'Layer knocks Out Drop Shadow' at the bottom of the 'Layer Style' window....when open.

Have fun.

Regards.
MrToM.

thanks! :) i dont understand number 3 though with the layer knock out, i notice the tick box on the layer style panel of the dropshadow but i cant really notice anything :S

MrToM

Guru
Ah, no....my fault, sorry.

Try this...

Set the layer FILL to zero. (Its below Opacity) at the top of the layers panel.

When 'Knock Out' is ON the shadow will not be behind the image....you get just the 'edge'.
When OFF the shadow WILL be behind the image.....as it actually would be in the real world.

Thats probably the best way to see what it does.

It does work as I said before but its not often used so I've obviously forgotten how its done...ho hum.

Regards.
MrToM.

mikewhybother

Ah, no....my fault, sorry.

Try this...

Set the layer FILL to zero. (Its below Opacity) at the top of the layers panel.

When 'Knock Out' is ON the shadow will not be behind the image....you get just the 'edge'.
When OFF the shadow WILL be behind the image.....as it actually would be in the real world.

Thats probably the best way to see what it does.

It does work as I said before but its not often used so I've obviously forgotten how its done...ho hum.

Regards.
MrToM.

o yehhhhhhhhh iv done it now :D sweet!