What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

font not displaying - help

Danielle

So I've searched fr the last 2 days all over the Internet trying to figure out why a specific font is not displaying in Photoshop, but is in other programs (IrisUPC). Nothing has been of any help, so far. The reason this is such an issue for me is that I'd had this font on my other computer, which after 5 years of heavy use, finally bit the dust. Got a new computer had to install this particular font because it's the main title font for our website. I am trying to update my website and add a page now and can't becasue this font is not displaying in Photoshop, although it is installed and displays in other programs. Any help would be so very much appreciated.If this helps, I'm on Windows 7 and Photoshop 7.0.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
I realize that you said that you searched the web for an answer, but, to be honest, this is a much more common problem than one might think. I don't know how you have been searching for an answer, but try this:
Google {font installed but not showing in photoshop}, and you will see ~650,000 hits, many of which appear to be relevant -- just not specific to the particular font that is giving you problems.

There reasons for such font problems can be broken down into several common types:

a) This particular font is corrupt. (There are ways to check all your fonts for such problems.)

b) The font actually is present in PS's list, but is listed in a place that you didn't expect, eg, among Asian fonts or some other group, or the name listed in PS begins with some unexpected characters.

c) Only one face of the font seems to be present, but the others (eg, bold, italic, heavy, etc.) can only be seen by accessing them through the appropriate menu.

etc.

etc.

So, have you already eliminated (a), (b) and (c), above? If so, the next place to go to systematically troubleshoot your problem is this note from Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

If that doesn't work, make the font file available to us and one of us will check it. You can either post it on some Dropbox-clone for which the recipient doesn't need to register to download a file (e.g., WeTransfer.com ) or just zip it and post the zipped file directly to this forum the same way you would post an image file -- just ignore the warnings.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - If you get the font to show up as it should, please let us know what worked -- we all learn from that.

Last edited:

Danielle

HI Tom. thanks for the reply and yes, I realize there are 665, bizillion hits with that issue and yes I did try a, b, and c. hence it taking me the last 2 days trying to read it all and try all of the suggestions, including downloading a font validator etc. etc. before I post a question that's already been answered that could have solved my problem.

that font had originally just been on my previous computer but got lost along the way in the switch over so I downloaded the font, several times, from several free sites, all to no avail. Tried running the font validator and it did pick up some issues, however, it lists about a thousand things and there were a couple red flags. Of course I don't know if these had anything to do with this issue or not, but I suspect that maybe that's it, given the sources from which I have tried downloading it.. I'd heard (through the reading of the bizilion hits I'd clicked on) that Photoshop is more stringent when it comes to fonts than other programs.

Anyway I will have a look at the link you provided, in the meantime someone on another forum is sending me their IrisUPC font file (which is apparently not corrupt) for me to try. I'll see if that works and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Danielle

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Danielle -

I'm really sorry about preaching to the choir on things you've already tried, but we get a regular stream of newbies to the forum who will swear on a stack of bibles that that they did a search, but it turns out that their search was actually dreadfully incomplete, misdirected, they never read beyond the first two hits, or they missed the obvious. We just never know the level of skill of someone new.

A couple more questions:

1) Are you having problems with any other fonts?

2) I realize that it's a new computer and obviously, a new, clean installation of PS, but just for yucks, have you tried resetting PS's preference file? You'd be amazed how many times that solves oddball problems.

Tom

PS - I'll download that font from one of the common sites and see if it goes into my system properly. I'll let u know.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, I just downloaded IrisUPC from Fontzone (http://fontzone.net/download/irisupc), and it went in without a hitch. First I checked that it appeared in Microsoft Word, then I checked that it appeared and works in PS, and it did/does.

The only thing odd that I noticed was that it appeared around 90% of the way down the list of fonts (see the attached screen grab). It appeared in a rather small group of other fonts.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - I'm using Win 8.1 (64bit) and tried the experiment using PS CC 2014 (64 bit). Unfortunately, I don't have any old versions of PS installed on this machine, so I can't check if that's a problem.

IrisUPC_font_went_in_smoothly.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Right.... I think I know the problem here....just doing some more testing but its looking good so far.

No guarantees but just to let you know I'm working on it.

Bear with me! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Danielle

Hi Tom,
I'd read about resetting type preferences to not displaying the typeface in the menu in several places, but when I tried to find the 'type preferences' in my Photoshop, they simply aren't there. I then set on a search about finding 'type preferences' in Photoshop 7 and everything I saw was for I guess newer versions of Photoshop which had different menus. I'd also read about resetting the general preferences as well, and though not a newbie to designing and using a computer, I am also far from a computer guru, so resetting general preferences reminded me of the time my mom came to visit me, here in Bali, and she was trying to put the flash on the camera and pressed 'reformat' and it erased 2 weeks worth of photos, so I was a bit apprehensive about pressing buttons that give me a warning: "are you sure you want to do this becasue it can't be undone". ;)

Incidentally the person I'd spoken about earlier did send me their font file. I deleted my font, shut down, installed hers, shut down again and restarted and... still not working. I also ran the font file she sent me through the font validator and it too had a few red flags,so I have no idea. I think I am going to call my tech guy to come and reinstall Photoshop for me and hopefully, fingers crossed, that will solve the problem.

As far as other fonts go, there aren't any that I know of that aren't working, then again, there aren't many that I use that often or any that are as important as this one. I do know, however that I have downloaded a few fonts from free sites for specific projects that do work. I am really hoping that a new installation will sort that out.

MrToM

Guru
Right......not a complete success but 3/4 of the way......it may be all you need?

I tried this out in CS (8.0) as its the earliest version I had installed at the time and it too refused to display that font correctly.

BTW, CS2 and up is fine...no trouble at all...all four fonts present and correct.

So.....if you only need Bold, Italic or Bold Italic then I can show you what to do.....but for the life of me I just cannot get 'Regular' to work at all....I think I know why but Windows fonts are terrible at best....and as this is a Microsoft System Font it makes it 10 times as hard to track down problems.

Regards.
MrToM.

Danielle

so I was writing when you sent all those other messages... I am going to try and get the my tech guy to install a newer version of Photoshop for me. Maybe that's the issue. I have Photoshop 7.0 at the moment and seeing your screen grab I get why I couldn't find the type preferences to turn off the font display... it's becasue mine doesn't do that. But in the meantime, if you do get the Iris regular to work, let me know and I will give it a try. Thanks for your help with this.

MrToM

Guru
Who ya talking to?

I didn't do a screen shot.

A later version of PS would be the best bet yes, even CS2 works just fine.

Re-installing PS 7 wont change anything.....the font is a Microsoft System Font and comes with the OS.
Installing 'other' variants just complicates things.

If anything get your 'tech' guy to run a system file check...it should revert the OS installed fonts to their original condition.....but of course having installed 'other' variants since, this may or may not happen.

The three I have working here are the best I can do for 'my' system....yours may be different....all four fonts may install correctly....but I couldn't guarantee it.

Fonts......I hate them!

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
One thing's for sure.... It displays and works in CS6 but not in PS7..... In fact it's the only font installed that doesn't seem to work in PS7.....

Lizard on the hunt.... lol.

Danielle

Who ya talking to? I didn't do a screen shot.- MrToM.

for some reason I assumed that you (MrToM) and Tom Mann,above (who has also replied to this post) were the same person.Hahaha. Sorry about that guys. Thanks you both for trying to help me with this. I think that a new installation is the way to go. I am assuming if I get him to do the system check that reverts the fonts to their original condition, if I uninstall the IrisUPC font that's giving me the trouble, before he does the system check, would that help and if it reverts the fonts to their original condition, does that also mean that it will delete any new fonts I've uploaded? Just curious...

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

To be honest with ya, after doing some digging around I wouldn't change anything on your system.

It appears that early version of PS and Microsoft Fonts, (Particularly that one), just didn't get on. This was a well known 'bug' which was addressed by Adobe in subsequent releases.

It took Adobe a couple of versions to fix it, CS (8.0), as I discovered, didn't like that font either but from CS2 (9.0) onwards everything's fine.

Therefore I'd say leave your system alone unless it needs an overhaul for some other reason...but for this....no.

A later, (CS2+), version wouldn't be a bad move on several counts....least of all just to rectify a font problem.

If you can't get a newer version then maybe try to find an 'alternative' to that font...one which works...some are almost undistinguishable from the original.

Regards.
MrToM.

Danielle

Thanks for the tips, Tom and now I know which version to ask for. In the meantime, I will do some searching around to see if I can find a similar font. Thanks for all your help. You're a superstar!

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Sorry it wasn't a more 'productive' solution but at least you can rest assured its neither your system nor Photoshop that's to blame......they just didn't, nor still do obviously, play together nicely.

PS 7 is 13 years old though and in software terms that's OLD! :rofl:

Its a miracle it still works at all really.....one font not working isn't too bad considering.....it's just a shame that's the one font you need.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
for some reason I assumed that you (MrToM) and Tom Mann,above (who has also replied to this post) were the same person.Hahaha. Sorry about that guys. Thanks you both for trying to help me with this. ....
Nope, we're definitely two different guys on different sides of the Atlantic. You're in very good hands with him, but beware: contrary to what everyone thinks, his real name is not "Tom". He just does that to confuse everyone. :rofl:

On a serious note, you are indeed working with a very old version of PS. Given Adobe's very reasonable rates for their new monthly software leasing program, it might be worth your while to consider either switching over to the most modern version permanently, or just lease it for a month or two till you get the job done. I haven't looked recently, but I think it's only about $10/month to lease both PS and Lightroom, and they have many other deals.

Cheers,

Tom M