What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selecting a Signature from Photo

ElizabethM

Hello!
Yes questions seems to be my favourite thing here doesn't it? Haha

I have been asked to selected a signature out of a paper image, simple stuff I realised. Now my only concern is that when I look at the image at 100%, the edges are very jagged, especially when I try to apply colour overlay to turn it into an all black signature.

Is there any way of making this a smoother transition?

Thanks in advance! :D

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
Color White Gray Black

Every signature has its own difficulties to be separated from a Background.
Maybe post your "paper image" or just a small part of it.
It is a lot easier then to help you with your problem.

ElizabethM

I would love too but I don't think I'm allowed to do that as the person who asked me is very particular about what goes up on their net. The background isn't so much of a problem though, it was written on a simple white paper so that was pretty easy to take out.

It's just while the outline was fine, the moment I colorized it the edges became rather jaggered. Is this a normal or should I maybe feather my selection first?

ElizabethM

The paper was like this:
IMG_0642.jpg

And the ink looked like this:
signature-white-paper-22477119.jpg

Ball-pen consistency so it had a bit of a faded black touch to the colour.

Paul

Former Member
Just curious as to why you require to lift a signature and for what purpose would that then lifted signature be used for?

1.jpg
Original signature

2.png
Use curves tool to make the paper almost white underneath the sig.

3.png
Make a selection of the BG, feather it a little, then delete the BG.

4.png
Use curves tool in the channels to change the color.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-02 um 11.03.18.png

ElizabethM

Ah curves tool to change the colour and feather for softness, I as so worried that feathering it would take away most of the little selection I had but ahhh! Genius. I was using colour overlay and that just looked sad. Thanks Chris! You're awesome. P/S: Are you German by chance? Because I've never really looked at PS in a different language and it's so cool (yes I'm a dork who finds a lot of thigns cool haha)
Paul: It's used on a little image they have on their website to make it more of a personalise imaged. :)