What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Place a flower on a new cololured background - How to?

WesternGuy

I am fairly new to Photoshop in that I haven't used it (CS6) very much in a couple of years. I am trying to remove all of the background stuff in a wildflower image and replace it with a solid coloured background, so that I end up with, for example, a blue flower on a soft red background.

I can select the flower, but at some stage in the selection process, the "selection" jumps from the flowers stem to the entire image and I don't know why- would like to understand this process better. When I have been able to select that part of the flower that I want to keep, I get a bit lost in how to proceed. My understanding is that I need to create a new layer with the "background" colour that I want on it and then, somehow, merge this layer so that my flower layer is on top of the coloured one. It is this "overlaying" that I am finding hard to make work.

Any insight/assistance or reference to how to get this done will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

WesternGuy

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello WesternGuy and welcome to PSG.

Any screen shots? What tool are you using to make the selection?

WesternGuy

Hello WesternGuy and welcome to PSG.

Any screen shots? What tool are you using to make the selection?

Thanks for the welcome.

I can post an image of one of the more simper flowers I was trying to work on if that will help. No screen shots.

I am using the Quick Selection tool and it worked pretty well. I had some problems getting it to select the border in some situations - not sure exactly why.

I think my biggest problem is getting the coloured background correctly in place.

WesternGuy

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sure, post one of the flowers.

Here are some tutorials on the Quick Selection Tool that may help you in understanding how it works.

WesternGuy

This is one of the simpler examples. I will go and look at the videos. Thanks for the reference.

I think my bigger problem will be getting the coloured layer behind the flower -maybe the vids will help.

WesternGuy

Attachments

• 20150722-_A4Q8028.jpg
    20150722-_A4Q8028.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The colored layer is easy. All you need to do is create a new layer below the flower layer and fill it with the color you desire. No need to merge.

Flower
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.25.37 PM.png

Flower selected
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.25.48 PM.png

Flower masked. (mask created from selection)
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.26.06 PM.png

New BG
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.26.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.28.27 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. Makes it look so easy.
Since I don't know your level of experience (I know you say your fairly new) I just demonstrated the basics of the effect. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.

WesternGuy

Since I don't know your level of experience (I know you say your fairly new) I just demonstrated the basics of the effect. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is a very green beginner and 10 is a world class guru, I am probably a 3 or 4.

WesternGuy

Quick Mask might be your best option as a beginner. Just paint what you want selected. the letter Q on your keyboard will toggle into and out of Quick Mask mode.