What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A newbie in making

Kubalionzzale

Hi all, this is my first post and I would like to be at least decent in photoshop. I'm using Photoshop cs6 and I found many tutorials online and on here just randomly put. But are there any gradual lessons/tutorials where I can slowly "master" photoshop.

Thanks in advance.

TonyCooper

I belong to a camera club where several members are very proficient in Photoshop and some are very, very new at it.
Your question comes up quite a bit from the members who are just getting started with Photoshop.

My suggestion is "Let your photos determine how you go about learning".

When you open a photo with some distracting object in it - like a discarded paper cup - use that photo to learn how
to use the Clone Tool. Google "photoshop clone tool tutorials" and you'll find many. Or, maybe the object is larger
like a trash can. Google "photoshop content-aware fill tutorial". And so on.

Instead of trying to learn the whole magilla (which none of us have done), learn how to change, correct, and improve
specific photos. Look for what you would like to do with a photo, and search out and learn to use the tool(s) that do
that for you.

Hi Tony
I agree with what you said.
A Photoshop beginner should try to walk before he starts to run.

f2bthere

One of the challenges starting out is that you don't know what tool might help with what you are working on. The program is so vast, it's hard to know what tools are most worth learning for photographers, which ones are more for graphic designers, etc.

It's also hard when you are starting out to sift the better videos from the vast options.

For me, photoshop is for when I need to use layers and/or complex masking. I try to do everything I can in Lightroom.

If you are lucky, your local Community College (what we call them in the US, not sure what the generic international name would be) might have a good program. If so, this is ideal because you will get an overview, feedback on your work and direct suggestions.

I have found Lynda.com helpful for a methodical approach, if you don't have a good local training option.

My best advice today to my earlier self starting out with photoshop: start by mastering the curves. A most versatile tool.

Dom