What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Animating in PS

AloysiusKR

Hey guys, I was hoping for some help on what should be an easy animation task in PS.

I have a moderately poor teacher for an animation class and we have the option to do this in either Flash or PS. The assignment is to create two to three drops of water with a ripple effect. I have tried to find tutorials for both ways but none of them really meet the requirements (i.e. a tutorial adds a ripple effect to an existing image, or adds the illusion of water to a leaf)...

But the thing is she does not explain these things clearly and expects us to teach ourselves and it's become incredibly frustrating.

Are there any videos I can watch about this? Or can someone maybe create a brief step by step overview of how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Former Member
Film it yourself then animate the frames maybe?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
What Photoshop version are you using?

You were on the right track in your search. There is a way to create an "animated" ripple effect in Photoshop using the zigzag filter. I haven't done it for some time and yet to do it on a CS version...... (I know what you're thinking @MrToM... :cheesygrin:). And will require a bit of variation on my part to adapt my old procedure to CS6.

If you get to read this before I get back here, make a search on how to create a pond ripple as well as creating a "falling" water drop. It's important you know the controls/settings used to create the ripple effect as it will make completing the animation procedure easier.... Hint... get acquainted with ZigZag's from center and pond ripple control settings.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even a poor teacher would not be as vague in their instructions as you seem to portray her to be. You seem to have an idea of the assignments requirements.

You would need to provide more information about the type of animation that is expected.

Something like this gif of a real waterdrop.........
tumblr_molox1sqiB1qdunk8o1_500.gif

.....or a hand drawn animation like this?
water drop animation.gif

MrToM

Guru
The OP also mentioned that this could be done in 'Flash' and although I think the OP has expressed a preference for PS, and I agree, this 'flash' tutorial shows a much simpler 'ripple' effect.....maybe it doesn't need to be as complicated as 'real' ripples?

It would help to know to what degree of complexity this needs to be before making any suggestions.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks MrToM.

Flash is very cool! What's it's future look like?

Now I have to try the same effect in Ps.

MrToM

Guru
...Flash is very cool! What's it's future look like?...
Dim.

Flash can do remarkable things but its a right pig to work with.
Also, because of what it can do, its now deemed a higher security risk so its days are numbered.

Photoshop no longer uses 'Flash' for its panels, (CC 2014+), favouring the just as powerful HTML5 standard. Unfortunately when it comes down to animation HTML5 isn't a viable option, not for a standard 'animation' anyway.....for web based stuff its great though!

This does therefore mean coding in HTML5 and bypassing PS completely....which is not the objective here.

I'm not sure if 'gradients' can be animated per-se in the PS timeline but there may be a way to make 3 or 4 different gradients to make a 'pseudo' phase shift and use 'Opacity' to fade from one to the other....'Opacity' IS animatable in PS.

I don't have time to experiment unfortunately so these are just 'thoughts' as to what I'd try to replicate that 'Flash' example.

The other question, of course, is does this need to be a 'Frame' animation or a 'Video' animation......knowing the output file format would be of great help too.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It could be frustrating for the student. My daughter took up communication design and the professors expect all students to know/learn Photoshop by themselves. The profs don't teach PS- not even a bit. Sometimes I wonder whether the profs know how to use PS......

I also deduce the OP prefers PS.

urmmmmm.... I'm not quite satisfied with what I got here. Needs a bit more tweaking on the settings to get it right. As well as getting just the right POV view angle. And that water drop splashing into the surface will be kinda tricky... :banghead:

WaterRipples.gif

@AloysiusKR .... If this is what you have in mind, I'll delve into it further......

@MrToM.... CS6, I assure you..... :)

MrToM

Guru
Thats pretty cool dv8......nice one!

Regards.
MrDirtyThoughts.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah it does.....kind of a mixture of the two.

I didn't like to say as its pretty good regardless.

It could just be a timing issue.....you know like when wagon wheels get out of sync with the camera shutter speed in those old 'Cowboy' movies.....they appear to go backwards.

Still impressive none-the-less mate.....just needs a fine tune like you said.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Dim.

I'm not sure if 'gradients' can be animated per-se in the PS timeline but there may be a way to make 3 or 4 different gradients to make a 'pseudo' phase shift and use 'Opacity' to fade from one to the other....'Opacity' IS animatable in PS.

Tweening, perhaps? with 3 frames?

I recall an old tutorial years ago from the former PSG owner about creating a curling flag animation. I think the procedure can also be used to animate gradients. I'll try searching for it in the forum database hoping it's still there......

If the OP intends a video, the Zigzag settings has limitations - it wont produce ripple movement in much smaller increments in order to get a smoother animation...... just saying.

addendum.... didn't see your latest post..... lol.

Like I mentioned above, the zigzag's limitation cause the mixed movement..... :banghead: . Or maybe it's caused by the background base image that I've used.

AloysiusKR

What I need, specifically is ultra simple and basic! I need a circle...such as a filled ellipsis, dropping from the top of the image, coming down, and a simple ripple coming off that...like halo rings?? This is an intro 2D animation class...she just doesn't give any instructions. In her words she's "not a teacher but a professional artist with enough experience to use the programs" hahaha....ha.

In flash it would be similar, a ball (using Tweens??) coming down and when it hits the bottom a simple ring comes off of it.

Very sorry for the late replies but it I've been moving all weekend!

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
What I need, specifically is ultra simple and basic! I need a circle...such as a filled ellipsis, dropping from the top of the image, coming down, and a simple ripple coming off that...like halo rings?? This is an intro 2D animation class...she just doesn't give any instructions. In her words she's "not a teacher but a professional artist with enough experience to use the programs" hahaha....ha.

In flash it would be similar, a ball (using Tweens??) coming down and when it hits the bottom a simple ring comes off of it.

Very sorry for the late replies but it I've been moving all weekend!

OK..... But in the same manner I instruct my daughter - just promise me you won't tell your prof how you did it or she gets to learn something from the student who should be the one being taught..... :devilish: .

I'll get to it a bit later as it's the work hours of the day right now.

There are 2 ways I know to create ripples - create directly with ZIGZAG alone..... or use the created effect, save as psd and use it to load as a displacement map and delete surplus distortion created within the displaced layer image . As you can see, the latter is a bit long-winded in terms of procedure but could have a better look depending on the background image you're using.

As you're creating an animation, that's a whole lot of work and more layers to work on.... lol. But the benefits are there as you're killing 2 birds with one stone - you get to know how the displacement filter works as well.....

Paul

Former Member
Single ripple image then made into a few frames each with liquefy applied stretching outwards as per ripple, before that a single blue frame with a white edge and a three frame drop down of a single water droplet, not brilliant but with time and some playing around it could be made to look more realistic.

liq.gif

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Single ripple image then made into a few frames each with liquefy applied stretching outwards as per ripple, before that a single blue frame with a white edge and a three frame drop down of a single water droplet, not brilliant but with time and some playing around it could be made to look more realistic.

View attachment 57791

That's another excellent take on it, Paul. Gives the OP another choice to choose from........

I'm aware it's just a beginner's project assignment in animation, but I can't help but do a quick experiment with the other way of creating ripples....

Ripples_in_Yumi-ike_Pond.jpg

With a bit of tweaking looks more subtly realistic to me. BUT... so much to do if creating the animated version..... :banghead:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Re: Create A Pond Ripple Animation In Photoshop

What I have here are basic steps to create the needed effect in order to complete the animation. You may have to tweak the settings mentioned depending on the size of the image you intend to create or your preference.

1 - With the Elliptical Marquee Tool, draw the selection around the area where you intend the ripple to be in your image.

RippleAnimation01.jpg

2 - Press CTRL+J to duplicate the area selected in your background image on a layer. What we're creating here is a 4 frame animation thus I created 4 copies of the selection as shown in the layers palette below. Create more duplicate copies if you prefer to have more frames in the animation.

RippleAnimation02.jpg

We'll be creating the animated effect (in sequence) on each layer. Hide the upper 3 layers by clicking the eye icon of those layers.

3 - We start with Layer 1. Click on layer 1 to make it the active, editable layer. Make sure that the object on the layer is selected (as seen in image above). This is indicated by the presence of the "marching ants". If not selected, simply press CTRL+click the layer(1) icon to select the object. You have to make sure of this in order to keep the ripple effect within the object shape and not a distorted ripple blob on the layer.... LOL.

4 - APPLY THE ZIGZAG FILTER - In the Filter Menu on the Menu Bar, choose Distort>ZigZag . Set the Amount at 20 , Ridges at 20 and make sure to select Pond Ripples option (setting by default). Press OK.

DO NOT DESELECT THE SELECTION.

RippleAnimation03.jpg

This is the result you should get. This layer serves as the first effect frame of the ripple animation.

RippleAnimation04.jpg

5- This step creates the sequence of movement....... Repeat Steps 3 and 4 on the succeeding layers (in sequence). The only difference here is that the RIDGES setting is set lower in increments of 1 for each layer. eg. Layer 1 copy - 19 ... Layer 1 copy 2 - 18 ... Layer 1 copy 3 - 17 .... and so on.

When done, deselect the selection ants (CTRL+D).....

RippleAnimation05.jpg

OPTIONAL .... You might prefer a subtle look to the effect. It will be a good idea to group the effect layers into a set. In this way, you can lower the opacity of the effect layers all at once.

Select the 4 layers and in the palette option, choose New Group from Layers. To lower the opacity of the layers in the group, click/select the group and adjust the opacity slider.

RippleAnimation06.jpg

CREATE THE ANIMATION TIMELINE.....

With your ripple Layer 1 selected/active and the others hidden, switch your current Workspace to Motion.....

Motion Workspace.jpg

In the Motion Workspace Timeline, click on Create Frame Animation....

Frame Animation.jpg

Doing the above creates the first frame of the animation in the timeline with LAYER 1 as its content.

To add a new frame, click the duplicate current frame icon as shown below. Switch the frames content with the appropriate ripple Layer by clicking on the eye icon to hide the layer and click the eye icon of the needed layer to make it visible.

RippleAnimation07.jpg

Repeat the above until you complete the animation sequence (4 Frames) .

RippleAnimation08.jpg

Set the loop option to Forever .....

Looping Option.jpg

Set frame timing..... In the timeline, click on the first frame then press CTRL+click the 4th frame to select all the frames. Right click on any of the frames Delay Timing > select other > and set the timing. I used .15 ....

Frame Delay.jpg

Test the animation by clicking the PLAY button.

RippleAnimation10.jpg

When satisfied, save as an animated gif via SAVE FOR WEB option.....

DONE......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Animation test run.....

Ripple-Animation-dv.gif

As mentioned there's another way to do this.... https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...imating-ps-post1533717019.html#post1533717019

If you're interested, let me know ....

edit ..... Dang..... I forgot about the water drop part.... :banghead: . You can take a cue from Paul's image post... https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...imating-ps-post1533717016.html#post1533717016 . Use a water drop, crystal ball or a pebble.... animate the object falling into and coming into contact unto a calm surface. Begin the ripple animation on the next frame.....

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

edit ..... Dang..... I forgot about the water drop part.... :banghead: . You can take a cue from Paul's image post... https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...imating-ps-post1533717016.html#post1533717016 . Use a water drop, crystal ball or a pebble.... animate the object falling into and coming into contact unto a calm surface. Begin the ripple animation on the next frame.....

Sorry, Paul..... I can't ignore the urge of the wild, rolling avatar..... look closely.....

Ripple-Animation+paul.gif

:rofl: