What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old School Photo effect help please!

Taz

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could make suggestions on how to achieve the effect on the attached image. I'm just not getting it quite right and feel that I missing something REALLY obvious! :rolleyes:

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Screen shot 2015-08-07 at 16.59.37.png

Here's what comes first to my mind:

1. A long, large aperture telephoto lens was used to get the nice blobby out-of-focus highlights in the background. This is the foundation of the whole rest of the look of the image.

2. Posterization of both the tonality and colors was obviously used. Medhi has a nice, free plugin called Posterizer that can separately set the degree of posterization of the luminosity and hue.

3. Some sort of diffusion / grain effect was used to get the colored speckles (eg, around each of the OOF blobs). This could be something like PS's "Glass", Richard Rosenman's "Diffuse", or anything similar.

4. To get the black speckles, they might have added a thresholded "Poster Edges" effect. Lots and lots of other ways to do this, as well.

Good luck with it.

Tom M

Many thanks Tom. Your reply much appreciated. It's given me some good ideas and I'm getting closer to copying the effect :)

You're welcome! BTW, don't ask me how the underside of the nearest player's legs got so weird, especially considering that the underside of the legs of the more distant player (ie, also shadowed about equally) only has a hint of this effect. If u figure a way to do this than is not purely manual work (eg, a brush), let me know, LOL.

T

Back