What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Create 3 frame animated GIF

SargeUSMC

Using PS CS6, I'm trying to create a 3 frame animation from a jpg @ 220 x 176 rezzie.

There won't be any visible animation in the end product, as all 3 frames will come from the same source graphic. This is what I need for the end use.

So I've done this:

File...Scripts...load files into stack.
browse to the location of the 3 files, select them & click OK 2x
Window...Timeline...Create Frame Animation
Select Make Frames from Layers in the Timeline Menu

Now my timeline shows 3 frames, and my layers window shows 3 layers

I assign the time for each frame to display. In this case 2 sec.

File...Save for Web...define file name and destination...boom.

The application I'm trying to use this file in is telling me that it is only a 1 frame animation.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

Semper Fi!

MrToM

Guru
What file format are you saving out to?

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Is each frame set to 'Automatic' or 'Dispose'....in other words NOT set to 'Do Not Dispose'...?

Is each frame different?

Can you post the PSD file prior to saving as a gif?

Most times its much easier to asses whats going on with the file first hand as there are many things it could be.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Thats not the PSD file, thats the gif.

By the time its saved out to a gif all the settings are lost.

It is a single frame file though so I dunno what you've done......thats why having the PSD would be much more beneficial.

Zip the PSD and upload it in exactly the same way as you did the image.....ignore any warnings.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
OK....you are obviously having trouble uploading files so try downloading this and see if you can use it to help you.

It contains a PSD file, of three layers and three frames, and the resulting .gif image.

View attachment monroe_MT_01.zip

Regards.
MrToM.

SargeUSMC

my attachment didn't go?

I see the gif animated.....how do I get from the PSD to that end result?

I don't need the extra layers with the colors. It's stupid I know, to have an animated gif where all 3 frames are the same, but that's what we need for the end use.

I have CS 6 on my laptop......can you walk me thru it? I need to be able to reproduce these results on demand.

MrToM

Guru
Ok.....very simple.

1. TURN OFF each layer. (Use the eye icon)
2. SELECT the FIRST FRAME.
3. TURN ON layer 1.
4. SELECT the SECOND FRAME.
5. TURN OFF layer 1 and TURN ON layer 2.
6. SELECT FRAME 3.
7. TURN OFF layer 2 and TURN ON layer 3.

At the moment you have EVERY layer turned ON for EVERY frame.....this makes the animation a single frame gif.

Regards.
MrToM.

SargeUSMC

Ok I did that....then Save for Web as GIF......and the end application is still telling me this is a single frame animation.

Attachments

• BOCES.gif
    BOCES.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 22

MrToM

Guru
I don't know how to tell if it's a single frame or multiple frame animation when all frames are same same. If they were different I could open it with a browser and watch it play.

Which is exactly why I put the coloured dots in so you can see if the animation is working.

Once you know it is you just turn off the dots for each frame...(Or delete the layers)

Can you post a screen grab of your SFW settings.....you must be doing something wrong in there....I can't see what else it could be....and I can't replicate the problem here.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In your image, your frame #3 is corresponding with the bottom layer. Try naming your layers.

Layer # 1 should correspond with frame #1

Layer # 2 should correspond with frame #2

Layer # 3 should correspond with frame #3

MrToM

Guru
...you want this?...
Nooooooo.....I have that already....I need your SFW settings......Save For Web.

If I can see the settings you use when you save the gif file it may help determine what the problem is...everything else is fine so it can only be how you are saving the file.

Regards.
MrTom.

SargeUSMC

I'm sorry I'm such a bonehead......I don't understand what you're telling me to do regarding frames and associated layers. Layer 1 is the layer shown at the top of the list?? I need to associate frames with specific layers?

View attachment 57837