What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending Height maps Techniques

AQthinker

Hello,

I'm looking get some suggestions on how i can blend together two height maps, which are grayscale images that can build terrains or models using color value. I have place to different height maps side by size and I want to blend the seams so that when the model is created there is not a huge seam in the middle of the model.

The pictures below some the image and the results im trying to achieve using photoshop. Ignore the color contours.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 18.32.47.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 18.33.36.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Maybe I'm missing something, but why is compositing two bump/ height/whatever maps together any different from seamlessly compositing two images together? For example, one can put a selection around the map on the upper image and then feather that map. This will make opacity of the top layer go smoothly from 0% to 100% as you go nearer and the edge of the bottom map. As long as the twp layers are continuous in both its value and in its 1st derivative, there should be no discontinuity in either the height or 1st derivative of the height in the vicinity of the boundary.

Tom M

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hello,

I'm looking get some suggestions on how i can blend together two height maps, which are grayscale images that can build terrains or models using color value. I have place to different height maps side by size and I want to blend the seams so that when the model is created there is not a huge seam in the middle of the model.

The pictures below some the image and the results im trying to achieve using photoshop. Ignore the color contours.

View attachment 57833
View attachment 57834

I think I get what you're trying to achieve here.....

The full image composite attempt looks good. Whatever you did seems to have worked. All you need now is to apply it on the model to see how the bump mapping (less color contours) will stand up ....

If in the model render you notice a faint diagonal or jagged seam where the two images are spliced, simply retouch those areas with the clone tool with soft edges and re-apply it to the model.

AQthinker

Yes you have the idea right, the only problem is I did not achieve the bottom image. I'm looking for some suggestion on how I can get to that via photoshop. That image was generate with a program not at my disposal.

Tom Mann

Guru
Is there never any overlap between the maps u start with? Ie, at best, adjacent (starting) maps abut each other, but never overlap, or there might even be a gap between them?

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yes you have the idea right, the only problem is I did not achieve the bottom image. I'm looking for some suggestion on how I can get to that via photoshop. That image was generate with a program not at my disposal.

I see..... Photoshop has the tools you need to accomplish the task - clone tool to duplicate/retouch seam areas where two or more images are spliced, adjustments to match the Brightness/Contrast of a tile image to another, and if needed- warp capabilities in order to blend or fit certain sections of one image with that of the other. And there's more tools to use....

It takes a lot of time as well as trial and error to do but the efforts are well worth it. Most model makers I know prepare their texture and Bump Maps in Photoshop before loading them on Max, C4d, Bryce or even Poser.

Do you have sample images you can share so we can demonstrate whatever possibilities there are in some way?

AQthinker

There is no overlay. In fact the actual image looks a bit like this. This is rough and will be regenerated once the pieces are moved around, but typically none of the adjacent maps have any overlay.

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 00.45.49.png

Tom Mann

Guru
There is no overlay. In fact the actual image looks a bit like this. This is rough and will be regenerated once the pieces are moved around, but typically none of the adjacent maps have any overlay. ...
Ahh, OK. Thanks, now I understand the constraints a bit better. Let me work on an idea.

Tom M

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There is no overlay. In fact the actual image looks a bit like this. This is rough and will be regenerated once the pieces are moved around, but typically none of the adjacent maps have any overlay.

View attachment 57852

It's unlike the terrain Map sample you first posted. From what I see, it's a whole lot of clone tool, cut paste, and merging to be done here.

Without seeing the actual (3D?) model or aerial view/perspective of the actual terrain model, it's hard to determine what needs to be done.

Unless you intend to use this on a flat plane, artistic license is on the doer. How one wants the final image to look like.......

But it can be done.....

Tom Mann

Guru
So, I went back to the image in your first post, and concentrated on finding a relatively automatic/mindless way to get reasonable seams between just two abutting maps.

First, I cleaned up your screen grab by minimizing the visibility of all the contours, and then I simply made a rectangular selection that was centered on the seam, and about 15% of the width of the image, and saw what content-aware fill would make of the situation, LOL. A very fast process, indeed. Here's what I got:

Abutting_maps-remove_contours-join-ps02a_for_GIF.gif

Tom M

AQthinker

Yeah this looks like what I need! I am creating the model so you are right the look is all up to the artist. I basically pulled some digital terrain models of mars offline and combining different pieces to make a full sample of what mars landscape could look like.
So you are saying using the clone tool and merging, I can can accomplish this?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yeah this looks like what I need! I am creating the model so you are right the look is all up to the artist. I basically pulled some digital terrain models of mars offline and combining different pieces to make a full sample of what mars landscape could look like.
So you are saying using the clone tool and merging, I can can accomplish this?

If you're accustomed with the PS tools, it's a big YES - it can be done. Think of it as landscaping - start with a full sized landscape image as background base image then take one part here add it there, take two parts from different areas and mix together, extend that area and blend with the adjacent image area, ..... so on so forth.

Tom Mann used Content Aware Fill - another PS tool with possibilities for you to use.

One thing to remember is to create the edits done with clone tools, brushes cut/paste, smudges and the like on new layers and not on the base images. In this way, if you don't like what you did, you can simply delete the unwanted layers.

When doing clone work, do it in small sections (click by click) using a feathered airbrush setting. Clone large areas in one click if you know what you're doing and what the outcome will be like.

Your layer file is saved as a psd . This retains the layers in the file. The finished artwork can be saved as a merged JPG , TIF , GIF or PNG.

Give it a try and post you're work updates. The guys here in the forum will help walk you through the process......

edit... seeing MrTom's post below..... you can also create additional parts to include in your image. He mentioned the Cloud filter - there's an area in your patch sample image as well that resembles clouds.

MrToM

Guru
Looks just like the 'Cloud' filter...eh?
(Or a blend of several variations of...)

Regards.
MrToM.

AQthinker

Here is the official image I will be working on to smooth out the seams. I'll post my progress as I move along and through a few photoshop tutorials.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

massivemap.jpg

AQthinker

Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 12.19.36.png
Before Smudge

Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 12.19.53.png
After Smudge

Terrain Without Smudge
Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 12.23.36.png

Terrain with Smudge
Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 12.24.32.png

As you can see the smudge is connecting the terrains without a problem rather smooth. Its just the height different with the rest of the pieces thats giving away the difference. Im wondering if there is a gradient filter I can apply to just smoothly transition one color into the other.

I'm a total photoshop newbie.

Content aware fill is producing some odd piece. Im playing around with opacity and blend modes but no luck so far.