What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create this effect in Photoshop?

driddle

Unknown.jpg

I want to re-create this image with my own image. How do I get the dark/shadow-type effect on the person?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello driddle and welcome to PSG.

This effect was mostly created in camera with lighting behind and in front of the subject. You might get fairly close using Ps only. Depends on the starting image.

Can you post the image?

Tom Mann

Guru
Sam is absolutely correct. This effect is always done in-camera. It is usually called, "rim lighting". Your example is essentially the same as can be seen on this page:

http://photocritic.digitalphotograp...tId=3788128:Comment:128771&xg_source=activity

The lighting setup used is shown at the bottom of the page.

The only substantive difference between the example you posted and the URL above is that in yours, the photographer also put several lights on the background to turn it a uniform green, instead of leaving it black.

BTW, if you attempt to do this in a room with light colored walls without the closely placed strip lights, the stray light bouncing around the room can easily turn the nice rich blacks into "eh-so-what" grays, ruining the effect. To eliminate this possibility, most studios that need to regularly produce shots like this (eg, for glassware and other product photography) are usually painted jet black, not a light color as shown in my example. Gridded strip lights would be even better.

Tom M

Last edited: