What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop automatically add new layers when using the rectangle tool

MrBenson525

So I'm new to photoshop and was trying to create simple textures for my 3D model. I opened a new layer under the texture layer (set to multiply) so I can paint it without messing with the texture's shading. That worked for me but when I try to use rectangle again after the first time it automatically created a new layer for me. This isn't a big issue but things will get nasty if I used it for like a hundred times when painting. Any help is appreciated. :lol:

The normal way to do this is to paint on a layer above your original, you'd then have this layer set to whatever blend mode you need.

You say you use 'Rectangle' again...and yet up to that point haven't actually mentioned what that means or when or where you used whatever it is.

The 'Rectangular Marquee' tool is used to define an area for editing.
The 'Rectangle' tool is used to create a shape.

All shapes are created on their own layer.

If you could post a screen shot of your layers panel and a more precise description of your workflow and ultimate goal it would make it easier to suggest a solution for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi there....

What PS version are you using?

There was a time when I was using CS2 that using a different tool while working causes PS to create a new layer. I'd reset the preference and it clears up and stays that way for some time until it hiccups again..... :banghead:

But I also agree with MrTom - when you say "use rectangle", was it the selection or shape tool?

MrT.... it's also possible to do edits (or paint) on a lower layer with the top layer set to multiply.... in keeping with "active, selected layer....

...MrT.... it's also possible to do edits (or paint) on a lower layer with the top layer set to multiply...
Absolutely....but normally the whole purpose is to change the original image, not the 'painted' layer....also, not all blend modes are commutative.

Regards.
MrToM.

Snap 2015-08-14 at 14.17.16.png
Here is the screenshot of my work.

I still can't figure out the problem though :p, hope someone can find a solution for me. I think it's some settings problem because the tutorial video on youtube can add multiple rectangles in the same layer without any problem.

Try this:

Change the mode to 'Combine Shapes'....it looks like you have it set to 'New Layer'.

combine_shapes_MT_01.jpg

Sorry its a short answer but the site just isn't playing very well at the moment.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back