What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to convert four color process to spot colors in photo.NEED ADVICE ASAP

kimmy1205

I have a client that is asking if and how we can take there label and change it from four color process to spot colors. I can identify three possible colors for the text and border but then they have an image in the background that is definitely four color process. What is the best way to go about changing the image to spot without losing the quality of the photo? If this is not possible could you please explain. Should I just tell them the best way is to keep it four color process.

www.photoshopgurus.com.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there, Kimmy......

With the complexity of that banner image, it would be best that your client stick with the four color CMYK process.

I can surmise the reason for your clients needs - bright, vibrant colors. But spot color printing has a smaller color range. Hence, the hotel and marina scene will turn out inaccurate and dull. Spot color printing does not require full color images, such as for business cards, simple stationary or the 3-color Royal Pacific Logo.

With CMYK four color process, you can print all colors in the color spectrum which are needed for the full color imagery in the banner.

I would suggest that your printer bureau do test prints for you before final print so you can check for yourself whether their alignment of the CMYK plates are accurately done. Inaccuracy of plate alignments cause fuzziness or sometimes color discrepancies.

Depending on the capability of their presses..... on a 2-plate press, print a test output of the first and second color plates.... check output.... then a test with the remaining plates. Problem here is that you have to wait for the presses to complete the printing of the first run before you can do a check before the second run. It's much quicker if they have a 4-plate color press.

Of course, you have to be present during production......

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Kimmy -

dV8's suggestion to stick with process color are right on the mark.

The background image(s) are beautiful in full color and the color contributes significantly to giving potential customers a good impression. I played around with a few ideas to reduce the number of plates, and nothing that I came up with looked as good as standard CMYK process colors.

I think you are going to have to educate your customer about spot color. To start, mention what dV8 said. Spot colors can be used to reduce the number of plates only if the artwork allows it (eg, simple but bright business graphics). You can point out that for artwork like this, spot colors are almost always used to add something really special -- maybe a special color or metallic ink, maybe an overcoat -- Not reduce the complexity.

Perhaps you can convince your customer by reminding him that the C, M and Y are effectively spot colors ... just standard spot colors that have been incredibly well optimized over decades, so if you switch to a smaller number of (other) spot colors, your image is going to take a hit. Here's the very 1st sentence of the Wikipedia article on spot color: "The widespread offset-printing process is composed of four spot colors: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Key (black) commonly referred to as CMYK."

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

Tom M

Last edited: