What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Figure it out how to live preview when changing color!

MarkoRatkovic

Im a newbie to photoshop. But pretty good at After Effects. So until now i was making wallpapers on After Effects ,
now i want to learn about Photoshop. Im on Photoshop cc 2015 btw.

So ive learned some basics. But i cant figure it out , is Paint Bucket only tool that you can put color on blank layout?
Also how do i do live preview when changing color? What i mean is , when i put for example blue color on blank layout ,
now i want to change it to some other blue, how do i live preview it when changing color, to see what color looks best?
Like you move cursor on color and color changes on layout. Its kinda hard to explain what i mean cause im not good at english.
But i hope you understand what i mean. Thanks in advance!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
To change the color on a layer there are shortcuts:

- press D on your keyboard to reset the foreground/background colors to black/white
- to invert foreground/background color press X on your keyboard.

To fill the layer with the foregroundcolor, press ALT + DEL (Windows) (Option + DEL on MAC)
To fill the layer with the backgroundcolor, press CTRL + DEL (Cmd + DEL on MAC)

Fill01.JPG

To choose a color, click on the foregroundcolor (in this case black).
The colorpickerbox will appear.
Choose a color by clicking on the wanted color and click OK or press enter.

To apply the chosen color to the layer, press ALT + DEL

Fill02.JPG

I have no knowledge on how to preview the layer color except in the picker box that you can move on the layer. (If I'm wrong, correct me)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
In addition to Eggy's excellent advice you could also add a 'Colour Overlay' adjustment layer.

Any pixels on that layer will be changed as you select the colour in the picker so its pretty close to a 'preview'....of sorts.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I have no knowledge on how to preview the layer color except in the picker box that you can move on the layer. (If I'm wrong, correct me)

@Eggy.... In a way, your last image supplied a visual suggestion.

@MarkoRatkovic ....

In the colorpicker box, there's New and Current color preview (at top next to color spectrum) Clicking anywhere in the color range will result in a preview (new) of the color. If you don't like what you've selected, pressing ALT toggles the Cancel button to Reset. Click that and the New preview selected reverts to the original used color (current).

I guess that's as close as you can only get to a preview window..... :cheesygrin:.