What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help adding a transparent gradient

SimplyFelix

Hello there Photoshop Gurus community!

I'm not really new to Photoshop, but I just can't get the design I want... So I am wondering if anyone that is more skilled would mind helping me out.
I want an image like so:
header_back.png

But instead of having the ends black, could they be made transparent so they will fit into any background better other than black ones? I just can't achieve this, plus I cant get the gradient to look even - or maybe its just me, lol.

Thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Add guidelines to your rectangle to help you to know where to start and end your gradient.
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.17.54 PM.png

Fill with black...
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.18.03 PM.png

Select your Gradient Tool.
In the gradient editor, use the Foreground to Transparent preset.
Hit D on your keyboard to reset the foreground and background colors to black and white.
Make sure your Foreground color is black.

Add a layer mask to the layer. Make sure it's selected. (white brackets)
Using the guides, create a gradient on the right end starting from the outside/end guide and drag left to the guideline.
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.24.03 PM.png

Then do the same for the left end. Create the second gradient from the left end starting from the outside/end guide and drag right to the guideline.
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.18.19 PM.png

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Beat me to it.....so....

You could just set the gradient transparency...

transparency_in_gradients_MT_01.jpg

If you know how to produce a gradient then you know how to set transparency.....just use the upper sliders as you would the lower ones.

Then just drag out your gradient as normal.

If you need the transparency over a longer distance then just add more stops in the gradient and adjust the opacity as required...

transparency_in_gradients_MT_02.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This works very well MrToM....

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 11.49.19 PM.png

Glad your around to remind me of other ways to do things. I tend to fall into doing things a certain way.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

I fall foul of that too....all too often!

Habits eh? :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

SimplyFelix

Thank you both very much for the replies! Ill be sure to give it a shot and reply back letting you know how it went! :thumbsup:

Edit:

Got the job done! I went with IAmSams method.

Last edited: