What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deselect tool picker

larryp99

I am going along with the book PhotoshopCC Missing manual by Lesa Snider. I need help in tool picker selections on left side of screen. I am unable to turn a tool off (deselect) after selecting one. I have searched this site, Adobe site, general web search with no luck. Have tried using Esc, double clicking on tool button, right clicking on tool button. Nothing works for me. If some one could steer me to directions or tell me I will certainly appreciate it. Computer is PC with 8.1. My end goal is to put dimensions on photo and use them I place of a drawing for installation instructions . Thank You, Larry

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Once you have a tool selected, it will remain selected until you choose another one. There is no deselection of a tool.

MrToM

Guru
In short, you can't.

'A' tool must be selected at any one time, but there is no need to 'not' have a tool selected anyway.

Why are you under the impression you should?

What was in the book that suggested you could do this?

Regards.
MrToM.

Darn that Sam!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM I swear you watch me on 'who's online' just to see what I'm up to, then you try your best to beat me to the punch! LOL!!

larryp99

Now, now don't argue. Thanks for the answers IamSam and MrToM. The book didn't say I could deselect tool, It's just you can deselect and undo numerous steps in CAD so I thought Photoshop worked the same. Can ya'll direct me to an online tutorial that will tell me how to manipulate photos and place text on them? That will fill my immediate need with overwhelming me with too much information. Thanks again for the answers and have a great day. Larry

MrToM

Guru
No worries....we do play nicely together....honestly. :thumbsup:

If you have a specific problem in PS then just post it on PSG....we're here to help.

If you give a reasonable description AND some screen shots to help describe what you want to do then it means we can give you a more 'personalized' solution.....and having the info to hand means we can try it for ourselves first to make sure it works before making any suggestions.

Regards.
MrToM.

larryp99

Sorry for the delay gents, I had to refigure out how to get a screen shot and then how to post it here. The attached is the photo I have been using to try and learn. In this case the device with the electrical harness attached is the item of interest. This photo needs to be straightened to align with horizon, cropped to remove some parts of the background that are unneeded and some reference dimensions of the device to the surrounding structure. I think I have determined that the dimensions need to be placed on their own layer, have not figured out how to put them on a separate layer. I sure appreciate your help. IamSam where are you in Texas, I am fifty miles west of Fort Worth in the giant town of Cool, population 234. MrToM where are you in England. Thanks again,Larry

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

MrToM

Guru
I'm as far from the coast as you can get....Warwickshire.

Before we go any further with this what version of PS are you using? I know you said you had a CC book but that's no guarantee that's what you are using.

It looks like you are by the look of that stooooopid colour panel that wont stay minimized but just to be sure.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Here's the first part....straightening the image.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, guys, had to make a quick run to the bank before they closed at 4:00.

Larry, I'm in Lubbock.

larryp99

MrTom, Version of PS is 2015 cc I assume. I purchased it online last week from Adobe. I saw the realignment of image earlier, think I can get back to it. Don't stay up too late messing with me. Thanks, Larry

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

In that case, in CC 2015 you can use the 'Straighten Layer' button instead of the long-hand way I show in the video.

You'll find it at the top of the workspace in the menu bar.

What needs to go from the image?

Text is pretty simple....it creates its own layer so no need to worry about it...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Regards.
MrToM.

larryp99

IamSam, Know right where Lubbock is. MrToM you are right in the middle, couldn't get much closer. I thank ya'll again for the time. Larry

larryp99

Just saw the reply. I just need to take some of the photo off so it will print on an 8 1/2 x 11 page in the manual. The dimensions can be to any identifiable item in the photo so my installers will know where to put the device. As I mentioned this is just a photo I am using to train myself. There will be many of different devices and locations to follow. Thanks