What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning a 3D image into 2D

Jetheat

I downloaded a PSD image from the net which is a 3D image.

cutout-full.jpg

Is it possible to edit this image and turn it into a 2D image so I'm looking at it face on?

Appreciate the help,

JH

Last edited by a moderator:
The logo is an embedded AI file so why not just use that?

There seems little point in the 3D effect if viewed 'face on' anyway.....so you could even just type the copyright symbol and the word 'cutout' if that's what you want.....and add an inner shadow if needs be.

Not sure what your ultimate goal is here but it does appear to be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Regards.
MrToM.

That image was just a sample.

I wanted to do it with other images like this one.

pressed-logo-on-cardboard_23-292935525.jpg

I only have photoshop so dont know much about AI.

Any suggestions to make these images 2D?

JH

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they're at a slant so it looks 3D.

Can I make it face-on as if I'm looking at it straight, like any normal logo?

JH

Like I said, the '2D' image as you call it will be embedded in the smart objects that make up the image you see.

Open the smart objects and all will be revealed. (Double click it....you'll get a PSB file open)

You can then do with it what you want....re-create a smart object 'face on' if you wish.

If you're asking if the transforms can be removed from those smart objects then no, they cannot.
Scale can be re-adjusted but that's all.

You can apply further transforms to the final image to straighten it but that's probably a 'last resort' tactic.

Regards.
MrToM.

OK...I've looked at that other 'example' and although its reverse engineering a complex image for a simple effect and could be done far more simply....try this:

1. Double click the 'Your Logo Here' layer.
2. Save that PSB file as a PSD file......lets say as 'Logo.PSD' for sake of argument.
3. Open the 'Effects' group.
4. Open the 'Logo 3' group.
5. Notice that the same image appears once more in each of these groups.....select any of them....notice that the 'FILL' for each of these images is ZERO.
6. Open the file you saved earlier.....'Logo.PSD'.
7. DRAG that image into the working document.
8. POSITION this new layer ABOVE the first 'logo' image in the stack.
9. Duplicate it (CTRL + J) twice.
10. Position a copy above both the other two 'logo' images.
11. Clear any existing 'fx' or blending options from each of the original layers then HOLD ALT and drag both the 'fx' and 'blending options' from each of the original layers to their respective copy above them. (ALT + CLICK & DRAG the two small icons on the right of the layer.)
12. Set the FILL to ZERO for each of these copies.
13. Turn off the original three 'logo' images.
14. You should now have this:

2D_logo_MT_01.jpg

layers_panel_MT_02.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
Great Instructions.

I managed to do all that, but still stumped on how I can edit the text on that original logo so i can replace it with mine.

Is that possible?

JH

There isn't any text to edit, just that image.

You'll have to make your own image, with whatever it is you want in it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back