What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race Car livery help

fordguy1

Hi, I create Race Car liveries ( not for a living ) and need help in just one particular area.

When I place the sponsors name on the side of the car the name covers up some of the door seals which looks pretty bad, how can I have the door seals showing with the lines going through the sponsors name.

I am using Photoshop CS6. I have uploaded a pic of a car with the sponsors name and pig's head over the door seals so you can see what I mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please explain answer in easy to understand English please.

Attachments

• pink v8.JPG
    pink v8.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 8

MrToM

Guru
I would assume that you used a layer mask on the image given its shape and position over the wheel arch, in which case use it to mask the image where the seams are.

If not, add a layer mask to the image and use it to mask out where the seams are.

Regards.
MrToM.

fordguy1

I would assume that you used a layer mask on the image given its shape and position over the wheel arch, in which case use it to mask the image where the seams are.

If not, add a layer mask to the image and use it to mask out where the seams are.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank you MrToM for your reply.

Here is the part where I sound like a complete idiot.

To do the pig's head I found the image and used the snipping tool to cut out what I wanted and then in photoshop I made another layer and then proceeded to delete the outside of the image till I had what I wanted, then saved it.

Then I placed it on the car.

I am not sure if that's what you mean to do the same as I did with the pig.

Many Thanks fordguy1

MrToM

Guru
Ah right......well thats no problem.

For future ref you can remove parts of a LAYER in one of two ways....destructively and non-destructively.

What you have done so far is DESTRUCTIVE. This means that once you erase or snip away those pixels they are gone for good.....never to be seen again.

The non-destructive way is to use a Mask....or more specifically a 'Layer Mask'.

You apply a 'mask' to a layer by clicking the 'Add a Mask' icon at the bottom of the layers panel...3rd icon from left.

It will initially appear totally White, indicating that the pixels on that layer are visible....but, if you PAINT, in BLACK, with the brush tool on that Mask those pixels will become transparent.

You can use all the regular tools you would normally to create a 'greyscale' mask, to represent the visibility of the pixels within that layer.

Why bother with all this?

If you make a mistake you can simply paint pixels back in by using White....or any 'Greyscale' value.

The advantages of this go without say really.....and is just the thing you need for this.

Add a mask to the 'pig' image.

Make sure the MASK is SELECTED (Not the layer thumbnail !!! )....whichever is selected will have four white corners around it.

Now, grab that brush, check that the colour is balck and start painting along those seams.

You'll notice the 'pig' image being removed to reveal the seams underneath.....but in reality you are just 'hiding' or 'masking' the image from view.......paint over it again in white and it'll be restored to the 'pig' image again.

Pretty simple really.

You can do all your 'erasing', 'deleting' and 'snipping' like this safe in the knowledge that if you make a boo-boo then its cool......just switch colours and go back.....no worries.

Just remember to have the MASK selected BEFORE painting.....its easy to forget....and you dont want to paint over your pixel layer.

So....BLACK hides the pixels, WHITE reveals the pixels and any shade of grey in-between will add transparency depending on the shade of grey.

You may, in this case, find it easier to completely fill the mask with BLACK and paint in WHITE instead.....it'll mean you can see what you are doing....especially at the seam edges.

One other tip.....if you need a straight line when painting just click, hold down shift and click again....instant straight line between the two click points......good for straight seams. :thumbsup:

masks_MT_01.jpg

Any probs just shout.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

fordguy1

Ah right......well thats no problem.

For future ref you can remove parts of a LAYER in one of two ways....destructively and non-destructively.

What you have done so far is DESTRUCTIVE. This means that once you erase or snip away those pixels they are gone for good.....never to be seen again.

The non-destructive way is to use a Mask....or more specifically a 'Layer Mask'.

You apply a 'mask' to a layer by clicking the 'Add a Mask' icon at the bottom of the layers panel...3rd icon from left.

It will initially appear totally White, indicating that the pixels on that layer are visible....but, if you PAINT, in BLACK, with the brush tool on that Mask those pixels will become transparent.

You can use all the regular tools you would normally to create a 'greyscale' mask, to represent the visibility of the pixels within that layer.

Why bother with all this?

If you make a mistake you can simply paint pixels back in by using White....or any 'Greyscale' value.

The advantages of this go without say really.....and is just the thing you need for this.

Add a mask to the 'pig' image.

Make sure the MASK is SELECTED (Not the layer thumbnail !!! )....whichever is selected will have four white corners around it.

Now, grab that brush, check that the colour is balck and start painting along those seams.

You'll notice the 'pig' image being removed to reveal the seams underneath.....but in reality you are just 'hiding' or 'masking' the image from view.......paint over it again in white and it'll be restored to the 'pig' image again.

Pretty simple really.

You can do all your 'erasing', 'deleting' and 'snipping' like this safe in the knowledge that if you make a boo-boo then its cool......just switch colours and go back.....no worries.

Just remember to have the MASK selected BEFORE painting.....its easy to forget....and you dont want to paint over your pixel layer.

So....BLACK hides the pixels, WHITE reveals the pixels and any shade of grey in-between will add transparency depending on the shade of grey.

You may, in this case, find it easier to completely fill the mask with BLACK and paint in WHITE instead.....it'll mean you can see what you are doing....especially at the seam edges.

One other tip.....if you need a straight line when painting just click, hold down shift and click again....instant straight line between the two click points......good for straight seams. :thumbsup:

View attachment 58240

Any probs just shout.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks again for your reply MrToM , I will give this ago on the weekend although I am not 100% confident , as I said I'm an idiot , but will see what happens, Much appreciated.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Here are a couple of videos to show what you should be aiming for.
They are both quick and dirty but its the principle that counts here.....you should get it within the first few minutes.

There is no audio on either.

Regards.
MrToM.