What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy way to expand my color Palette?

James Chanbonpin

Hi guys, first off just wanted to say this is my first post but I'm happy to have found the website. Thank you for having me.

I am a product inventor, and I am in the process of picking color combinations for the initial release of my product to market. I have found a combination that I really like (Pantone #4F5855 and #D2D3C5), and wanted to know if it was possible to swap out the bluish color for others like, say, red or tan or black. I am not sure how to put it in words other than layman, but I like the combination and wanted to also have a red, tan, and black version of it.

I know that this is a Photoshop forum, but I couldn't think of a field where color consultation is used more.

Thank so much for any help you can offer. I am working on a tight budget, so I'm trying to see if it's possible to save some money on whatever I can. Much appreciated, James.

Tom Mann

Guru
What you are describing is a very, very common task for designers. To help out in this matter, Adobe has developed software that shows various color combinations that have historically been found to please viewers. These combinations include analogous, monochromatic, color triads, complementary, compound, and shades.

There is an online, web-based version of this software, as well as an app for smart phones:
https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-color-cc-capture-color/id632313714?mt=8

Obviously, the suggestions of this software must be judged and evaluated by the trained eye of a designer who will take into account many other factors besides the colors themselves. Such factors include history of the brand and similar products, current trends, the nature of, and the potential user base for the product, etc. Many books have been written on this subject. I'll try to post a few links later tonight

HTH,

Tom M

James Chanbonpin

Wow, thanks Tom. I've been fiddling with the web based app, but have yet to figure out how to swap out base colors for others. Do you do freelance work by any chance or might you be able to recommend someone that I can work with? I needed to procure other Pantone codes for the other colors to give to manufacturers for paint samples. Once again thanks Tom, James.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not looking for new customers at the moment. HOWEVER, there are many participants on this forum who would jump at the chance to help out. In fact, we have a fee-for-service sub-forum to match up people with Photoshop and general graphic artists. Why don't you read through the FAQ for people posting requests, and then post a notice on that forum. Also, be sure that you are dealing with qualified Photoshop Gurus freelancers.

The best of luck with your invention / business.

Sincerely,

Tom M