What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make this drawing look like Old textured paper? (DaVinci style)

MrKerner

Hello, I am quite the newb at photoshop!

I wondered if you can help me make this drawing/sketch look like an old textured paper effect; similar in style to Leonardo Da Vinci style drawings.

I'll upload a picture of the drawing and an image of the style i'd like to achieve with it.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 16.33.30.png Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 16.36.14.png

I look forward to your replies and I much appreciate the help!

MrToM

Guru
The easiest way would be to search for a 'texture' of the paper you want to use.

I actually hate the term 'texture' to describe an image but that's what most people call them so best search for 'Old Paper Texture' or something like that.

Anyway, once you've found one place it UNDER your sketch layer and then change the 'Blending Mode' of the sketch layer to suit......if you go through the list you'll find one that does the job.....ie, removes the white and leaves just the black.

If you find a 'texture' close but not quite right you can always adjust it in PS.

That's about the simplest way I can think of.

clint_MT_01.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

MrKerner

oh wow, thank you MrToM !

So the Blending Mode options are/is basically the list in the far right of this screenshot?

I didn't realise that was the way to blend an image with another background and a way of removing the white.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 17.00.39.png

Which blending option do you generally find to be the best?

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Yes...those are the blending modes.

You'll notice they are grouped....the second group generally make an image darker....the next group lighter.....some are commutative, some are not.

See this for a better explanation than I could give you...
http://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/photoshop-blend-modes-explained

This site is also an excellent resource....with an example for each blend mode...
http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/articles/blendmodes/index.htm

As all the blending modes do calculations in completely different ways its impossible to state 'exactly' which blending mode to use....there are instances where the result is always the same but in reality each project is different.

Its for this reason I didn't specify a blending mode in my original post but rather suggested you try them all to see which one gives the best result.

In my example 'Color Burn' seemed to give a good result....but that's only with that specific background.....your example has a different background and so a different blending mode may be better.

Its all experimentation really but the normal workflow is to just open the dropdown, select 'Normal' (which will highlight) and then just use the keyboard cursor keys to quickly scoot up or down the list.....stopping when one of them 'looks' good.

Blending modes is one of those things where the result is pretty unpredictable unless its really simple....or you're a maths genius.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator