What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't follow the instructions properly

MrToM

Guru
I think you're doing just fine.

The problem is following a badly written tutorial.

It says to create a 'New' document of width 1400px and then to fit an image 2816px wide into it and expect it to fit....yeah right.

So you've done nothing wrong, except believe everything you read.

You have two choices though:
A. Transform the image to fit the document.
B. Create a document the same size as the image.

I haven't looked at the other image you need to use so they may define which you do but I'd be inclined to transform that image to fit the document....and here is how:

With the 'Upper Mountain' layer selected hit Ctrl + T on your keyboard.
This puts you into 'transform' mode and displays the 'bounding' box with small squares locate din the corners and at each edge midpoint.
Note it extends beyond the document...but don't worry about that.

(Turning 'snaps' on will make the next bits easier)
Click and drag within the bounding box to move the image so the top left corner snaps into the boundary of the document. (Be care ful NOT to drag the very centre....its the pivot point for rotation.)

Hold SHIFT, (to constrain proportions), and click and drag the bottom right corner of the transform bounding box (the small square in the corner) up and left until the edge of the bounding box is aligned with the edge of the document.

You may want to zoom in closer to make sure you align it correctly....snaps don't work in this situation)

Click the 'tick' in the menu bar to accept these changes.

The image should now be the same width as the document with the grey background in the lower half.

Hopefully the rest of the images are the right size but if not then just transform them in the same way.

If you make a mistake DO NOT transform again until you have UNDONE your previous mistake, (Ctrl + Alt + Z)....transforming reduces image 'quality' so should only be done once.....and preferably only ever to a smaller size.

Regards.
MrToM.

@gedstar
PS...Not you as well!....sheeeesh!
Are you taking lessons from Sam?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ged, I think he's referring to you beating him to the posting! He and I always appear to be racing to see who can post before the other! We do not do this of course, it's purely coincidence. It just means that we are all attentive and trying our best to help out the OP. Great job guys!

I do agree, a photo is worth a thousand words!

MrToM

Guru
...I do agree, a photo is worth a thousand words!...
Absolutely....and would be even better if they were correct too though!

@gedstar
Are you sure you can scale the embedded image proportionally by dragging the bottom midpoint control handle? (Image #3)

I would assume the idea IS to keep it proportionally correct?

Just an observation.

No big deal.

I'm not bitter or anything.

I can handle it!

I SAID I CAN HANDLE IT!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

(Gotta laugh)

:biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
@MrToM

You are correct and I was only going by the canvas size from the tutorial and looking again I don't think the image size was adjusted in the tutorial, have taken out image#3
My bad :redface: thanks for pointed that out. Place Embedded will still work for the OP as there's no need to adjust the size of the image. :thumbsup:

To err is human :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Place Embedded will still work for the OP as there's no need to adjust the size of the image...
Absolutely.....(if they have that option and their preferences are set that way.)
Before PS (can't remember version) there was only one option and that was just 'Place...'
The OP hasn't specified their PS version so who knows what they have? :biglaff:

Did you notice though how that image scales to exactly half the size of the document....?

Did someone leave that bit out of the tutorial d'ya think or are they just lousy at maths?

...To err is human..
Indeed....but to really screw things up takes a computer! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Absolutely.....(if they have that option and their preferences are set that way.)
Before PS (can't remember version) there was only one option and that was just 'Place...'
The OP hasn't specified their PS version so who knows what they have? :biglaff:

Did you notice though how that image scales to exactly half the size of the document....?

Did someone leave that bit out of the tutorial d'ya think or are they just lousy at maths?

Indeed....but to really screw things up takes a computer! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Yeah I think Place Embedded was only introduced in Version CC and after, it's only Place in CS6 so for the OP's reference it's File and Place
He has to be on CS6 or above because of the Dark Theme I'd imagine
Probably just left out although I could be wrong because I'm typing this on a computer :rofl:

Well it's nearly beer o'clock :beerchug:

Last edited:

HyppoBard

I think you're doing just fine.

The problem is following a badly written tutorial.

It says to create a 'New' document of width 1400px and then to fit an image 2816px wide into it and expect it to fit....yeah right.

So you've done nothing wrong, except believe everything you read.

You have two choices though:
A. Transform the image to fit the document.
B. Create a document the same size as the image.

I haven't looked at the other image you need to use so they may define which you do but I'd be inclined to transform that image to fit the document....and here is how:

With the 'Upper Mountain' layer selected hit Ctrl + T on your keyboard.
This puts you into 'transform' mode and displays the 'bounding' box with small squares locate din the corners and at each edge midpoint.
Note it extends beyond the document...but don't worry about that.

(Turning 'snaps' on will make the next bits easier)
Click and drag within the bounding box to move the image so the top left corner snaps into the boundary of the document. (Be care ful NOT to drag the very centre....its the pivot point for rotation.)

Hold SHIFT, (to constrain proportions), and click and drag the bottom right corner of the transform bounding box (the small square in the corner) up and left until the edge of the bounding box is aligned with the edge of the document.

You may want to zoom in closer to make sure you align it correctly....snaps don't work in this situation)

Click the 'tick' in the menu bar to accept these changes.

The image should now be the same width as the document with the grey background in the lower half.

Hopefully the rest of the images are the right size but if not then just transform them in the same way.

If you make a mistake DO NOT transform again until you have UNDONE your previous mistake, (Ctrl + Alt + Z)....transforming reduces image 'quality' so should only be done once.....and preferably only ever to a smaller size.

Regards.
MrToM.

@gedstar
PS...Not you as well!....sheeeesh!
Are you taking lessons from Sam?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey, thanks a lot for this detailed answer!

MrToM

Guru
I was giggling so much after reading that :biglaff: fair play MissssterTooooM you bring so much joy to the forum :rofl::rofl:

Thanks, one tries........you can't take Photoshop too seriously now can you...otherwise you'd end up in a padded cell full of penguins! :rofl:

Oh....Bugger.

Regards.
Cell #5

Leon William

Banned
I think it’s just a resizing issue. You can re-size the image using multiple ways; either you can place the image using place embedded option which is not available in older versions of Photoshop. In such case you can change the place preference to resize during placing option in preference menu. The easiest way to solve this issue is, converting the image into smart object and resize as you wish. So the image will be resized in a non-destructive way.