What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pixelated Edge Help

Maxwell

How do you make a pixelated effect like this? I find it absolutely amazing how it tapers and flows. Reminds me of music visualizations and I'd love to be able to learn how to make it.

YdXa1Qk.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Make a pixelated grid (by any of several methods) of the same size as your image (or slightly larger).

Make the grid the base layer for your composite.

Put the actual image on a layer above it.

Put an all white layer mask on the image layer.

With a soft brush at low opacity, paint black around the edges of the layer mask. This lets the grid below show through around the edges.

Done.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I now have it this far with the image clipped to the pixel grid.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 3.43.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 3.44.10 PM.png

I'm certain a brush was used to create the edges. I'm still working on that.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well here's my final version. It's not exact but its close. I wish I had used a better example image that would have had light to dark transitions to demonstrate the clipping.

Original
Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 9.51.46 PM.png

Mine
Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 9.46.13 PM.png

PixelatedEdge_01.jpg

I really would not be able to explain how I did it, but if your interested, PM me and I will send you the PSD.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Maxwell I have sent you a PM containing the PSD file along with some basic instructions.

Here is one last version that I thinks adds greater character to the piece and demonstrates the importance of the clipping mask.

PixelatedEdge_03.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Sam, thanks for pointing out the importance of the clipping mask. You were absolutely right. That's what I get for looking at an image on my iPhone and answering from that instead of looking at it more carefully on my big monitor.

Thanks,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Tom. I hope you realize that images/effects like this drive my OCD induced desire to recreate the effect as closely as possible. I mean nothing by my dogged pursuit so please forgive.........it's out of my control! LOL!!

Rich54

Guru
Sam, could you please explain how you created the white grid? I spent 5 minutes last night seeing if I could create the effect, and the first thing that hung me up was how to create the grid. I suppose I could manually create a small 4x4 grid, save it as a pattern, and then use the pattern stamp across the entire image. Is that what you did, or is there an easier way? Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Rich, there's actually not a white grid, it's a black squared grid. (The white grid is a good idea, I must mull that over)

However, you can use the black squared grid to make the white grid if you need to. Select the grid, go to channels, choose the blue channel, hit the 'Load channel as selection' icon, reset the RGB, go back to layers, create an new layer and fill the channel selection with white. Here would be the results.

Original black grid (positive)..
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 6.12.27 PM.png

and the new white (negative) grid created with the channel selection.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 6.12.45 PM.png

As I said, I only used the black grid for the image above.

Bottom layer is white..
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.24.20 PM.png

Next layer is the first of three image layers. On this layer I used a layer mask with a 20% gray color so I could bring out the highlights of the white BG.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.26.48 PM.png

The next layer is the black grid.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 5.27.28 PM.png

The next image (2) layer would be the clipped layer clipped to the black grid.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 6.22.47 PM.png

And then the third image layer would be on top with a layer mask. This layer is important as it restores the image to full opacity.
Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 6.29.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 6.29.56 PM.png

Rich54

Guru
But where did the black-squared grid come from? Did you create it from scratch? If so, how?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But where did the black-squared grid come from? Did you create it from scratch? If so, how?
Yes. I started with a 10px x 10px square I created with the Rectangle Tool. I wanted it to be a shape object so it would scale if needed. I then began the duplicating and merging process until I filled the canvas. It's a bit tedious but worth it in the end.

Rich54

Guru
Ok, got it. I'm going to try it myself. I may also experiment with the Pattern Stamp to see if that's a quicker way to fill the entire canvas.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, got it. I'm going to try it myself. I may also experiment with the Pattern Stamp to see if that's a quicker way to fill the entire canvas.
Great, I actually think there's an easier way. I just have not had the time to devote to figuring it out. Good luck!

Tom Mann

Guru
There are lots of ways to make a grid, e.g.:

a) By far, the easiest way is to simply download THIS freebie plugin, dial in the numbers, press a button and you're done, LOL.

b) If you don't really care if it's perfect when zoomed out or exactly what the spacing is -- all you need is something vaguely grid like -- just fill a new document with a solid color, turn on "view -> show -> pixel grid lines", zoom in to a few hundred percent, take a screen shot of the result and manipulate to your heart's content (eg, increase the contrast in ACR):

pixel grid-exaggerate_in_ACR.jpg

or, zoomed in ...

pixel_grid2-exaggerate_in_ACR.jpg

c) If you are a build-it-from-the-ground-up type of guy, follow the suggestions here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/64139/how-do-i-make-grids-on-photoshop

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks Tom. I hope you realize that images/effects like this drive my OCD induced desire to recreate the effect as closely as possible. I mean nothing by my dogged pursuit so please forgive.........it's out of my control! LOL!!
Just saw this post, Sam ... Hey, OCD is my middle name when it comes to PS'ing.

:rofl:

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - Even "Filter -> sketch -> Halftone pattern -> line" can be pressed into service (once for the horizontals, again for the verticals), LOL.

Lots & lots of ways.

T