What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original shadow on a flooring (or a wall)

Bebez

Hi everybody and thanks in advance to those who will follow the thread.

I need to change the tiles on a floor and a wall, but then I must keep the original shadows.
After changed the floor tiles, I've tried to restore the shadows making a copy of the background, than desaturated and inverted the copy and adjusted the levels for obtain a good b/w image, than inverted again and put this copy over the new tiles with multiply effect.
Unfortunately the result is quite ugly.

I attach the original image (first one) and the modified one without shadows (it's only an example), hoping someone can help me.

Attachments

• Interior-Living.jpg
    Interior-Living.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Interior-Living_mod.jpg
    Interior-Living_mod.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 8

Bebez

Thanks gedstar. Yes for me is really good enough, please explain how, so I can use it as a starting point to do some tests.

gedstar

Guru
Hi Bebez

The first thing I done was to open both images and copied the image with the shadow and placed it above the image without the shadow. Then selected both images and went to Edit, Auto-Align layers, used the default settings. This will ensure that both images are aligned correctly.

Go to Edit, Auto Align Layers
Auto Align.jpg

Next I selected the layer with the shadow and lowered the opacity to about 65%, this allowed me to see the layer below while still been able to see the shadow from the layer above.
Then I selected the layer without the shadow and with the Pen Tool I traced the shadow in various locations and made selections, copied the selections onto new layers.

Pen Tool Selection
Selection with Pen Tool.jpg
Right click and select Make Selection
Make Selection.jpg
Activate Selection, ctrl click on the layers thumbnail
Active Selection.jpg

To add the shadow, I selected one of the layers and ctrl clicked on the layers thumbnail to make the selection active, then made sure the foreground color is set to black and filled the layer with black, done this for each of the selections. Then lowered the Opacity to about 17% and added a Gaussian Blur of about 2 pixels to each, you’ll need to play around with the Opacity and Gaussian Blur to get the desired effect.

Fill with Black, shift + backspace and select Foreground Color for the contents
Black Fill.jpg
Lower Opacity
Opacity.jpg

Gaussian Blur
Blur.jpg
Blur Pixels.jpg

To add the darker shadow under the seats/chairs I made a selection with the Pen Tool and copied it to a new layer again I filled this layer with black, duplicated this layer and moved it down a bit and lowered the Opacity and gave a slight Blur. This will give the effect that the shadow is getting lighter as it gets closer to you.

I thing that’s everything covered.
Hope I explained this well enough for you to understand, if you have any questions or need help feel free to ask.
Ged

Last edited:

Bebez

Wow impressive, many thanks.
I'll try this method as soon as possible.
In the meantime I've searched on the net and seem that the best way is working with luminosity masks, so I can keep original shadows (and eventually reflections).
When I have tried it I will post the picture.
Thanks again
b.

Bebez

Thanks for the interesting links.
Here the proof I made today with the luminosity mask.
It's not bad, but there are some particulars of the original floor that became visible.
I'll make some other experiment...

Interior-Living_modBB2a.jpg