What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gurus help! Still not able to cut the images from the background perfectly

balavalli

Gurus help me teach.Still not able to cut the images from the background perfectly.Today its holiday in here and i tried to do some stuff on my favourite tool photoshop and i googled for some images and found a perfect one to haev a go at it. And i tried to cut that image and hair perfect using 'CHANNELS' But am unable to do it properly.The same thing i can able to do it with the pen tool and refine edges.But i think channesl is the best way foe the image i found.Any help where i am going wrong is really appreciated .

cheers n regards
Bala.

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Gurus help me teach.Still not able to cut the images from the background perfect

You should post the original image, the PSD is not usable.

balavalli

Re: Gurus help me teach.Still not able to cut the images from the background perfect

I intentionally preferred this image considering the fact the way her locks are floating .Best suited for practice i think.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks! That will work much better! Unfortunately I must run off to work for now so I can't help at the moment, but I'm certain someone else will jump in! If not, I will be back later this evening to offer my 2 cents worth.

balavalli

Thanks! That will work much better! Unfortunately I must run off to work for now so I can't help at the moment, but I'm certain someone else will jump in! If not, I will be back later this evening to offer my 2 cents worth.
Ok am eagerly awaiting for you. And this is my Refine mask technique i used.I haev some issues on it as well :) Ill ask u later once am able to learn with channesl. Heres the transparent one of it .Where i used refine edge method.

Cheers n regards

bala1.png

This is a complete different approach I would like to show you.

I used the curves tool to set the white point, then increased the blacks a little.
Then I applied a bit of color correction to the skin tones.

No masking at all.

bala chrisdesign.jpg

On the bottom of the image you can still paint with a soft brush on a layer mask
to lighten parts on the left side and on the right side of the woman.

balavalli

This is a complete different approach I would like to show you.

I used the curves tool to set the white point, then increased the blacks a little.
Then I applied a bit of color correction to the skin tones.

No masking at all.

View attachment 59004

On the bottom of the image you can still paint with a soft brush on a layer mask
to lighten parts on the left side and on the right side of the woman.

Really thanks a lot for your kind tutorial.But its not transparent image yet right? Am trying to learn how to use channels to separate the back grounds in case of these complicated images.Can you kindly give me on that lines please? Thanks in advance .Once again thanks a ton for your kind help and time.Looking forward , for your reply.

regards
Bala

Last edited:

balavalli

Gurus am still waiting for the tips. The entire process i uses is like this.

I1) First i searched for a an image which i think appropriate to learn the channels technique and i invoked it on the canvas.
2)Then i choose which channel is having most contrast, in this case blue .Then i duplicated it
3)Then i played with levels
4)Then invrted it and started painting it

i think am on right track but still its not perfect and i see lot of residue left and some places i lost the details of the image and some locks of hair in there. Please guide me or walk me through. Please help me

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You seem to be determined to use channel masking for this image. Let me start by saying is that there is not an absolute exact technique you can use on every single image. More often than not, you will use many techniques on one image.

This image is a poor candidate for using a channel selection only. A channel selection will work on the hair, but since the background and the blouse are close in color, channel selection will not work well here.
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 12.47.35 AM.png

Here's the reason why. The ultimate goal in alpha channel selections is that you must be as close to a black and white channel as you can get. Any part of the image with less than complete white or complete black, will not select all the pixels.
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 1.02.40 AM.png

In order for you to make a selection of all of the subject, you will have to use other methods like the brush tool to fill in the white.
Another tool I use is the Dodge & Burn tools around the wispy hairs and edges.
Once I have the mask created, I will use refine mask if I need to clear up areas around the hair.

Last edited: