What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get the path to fill...

Hi,

I'm trying to follow a tutorial.
In this tutorial we create some paths. Then we need to Stroke Fill these paths.
In the video it seems no problem, with me the options stay grey....

I can see that my screen is different than his, but i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong.
This is a screenshot from me:
screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg

On the first screenshot you can see that i have selected all the path lines (i alt+clicked on the perspective lines), but the option fill stroke (Pad Omlijnen) is greyed out.
On the second screenshot you see my layers. What i've noticed is that the guy in the tutorial doesn't have this boxlike thing in his Path Layer.... His paths just appear in the Path-Tab.
With me i can only see that paths under that tab, when i have selected the "perspective" lines layer....

I also tried to select the paths with the brush activated. Then i can no longer select the paths within the path tab.

What am i doing wrong!! :(

SPWA

Power User
The menu showing in the 1st screenie looks as though nothing is selected as the fill and stroke options are grey but the make selection isn't. Try clicking and dragging over all the anchor points of one box, then check the fill and stroke options again. Can't promise this will work but it's a good starting point.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Imme, welcome to the forum.

Can you post a link to the tutorial?

MrToM

Guru
I'd say you have created your paths as 'Shapes'.

The small 'box' icon in the layer thumbnail denotes a 'Shape' NOT a path.

As you stated, in the tutorial the author only had a 'Path' in the Path tab.....this denotes a 'Work Path'.

You can use the options you show on a 'Work Path' but NOT on a 'Shape'.

With a 'Shape' selected you have the Options in the menu bar....there is an icon for 'Fill' and one for 'Stroke'.

With a 'Path' selected these will not be 'greyed' out but you will not be able to use them.....likewise you cannot 'Fill' nor 'Stroke' a 'Shape' via context menu's.

If you go over the tutorial again to the point of creating the 'Paths' you may notice that the tool is set to 'Path'....what you prossibly did was to have the tool set to 'Shape'.

path_not_shape_MT_01.png

In all honesty it would be just as easy to start over, especially as you are following a tutorial.....and create your 'Paths' AS paths, not shapes.

I may be wrong, but from the screenshots thats what I reckon you've done......but don't worry about it....its probably caught [almost] everybody out at some time.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrTom U are absolutely right!!! This solved my problem :)
I really need to also reinstall PS to English, it's incredibly annoying having an other languages then the tutorial ^^