What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASUS N56V & CC 2014 Photoshop - video issues

ajeff37

I've recently returned from a trip overseas where I used my Gopro Hero 4 to film and photograph stuff. When I open photoshop it only takes up to 5 seconds tops and when I drag pictures into it it's instantaneous. However whenever I drag in a video or do anything video related it takes about a minute or two to even import a 20 second clip that was shot at 1080p. When I use the frames to layers option just clicking on that menu item takes about a minute to open the import your file box then a further 2 - 5 minutes to import the frames.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the issue could be and how to solve it or at least speed the process up because I have some videos that are 20 minutes long and at this rate I'll be waiting days to import those.

These are my computers specs.
Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

MrToM

Guru
For want of a better expression your issue is asking a boy to do a mans job:

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

I'd say these specs were those of a laptop, right?

Laptops just don't have the processing power for editing video, regardless of processor speed, amount of RAM or using SSD's.....mobile graphics cards just aren't up to the job.

Thats not to say you cannot use laptops for video processing but you'll have to adjust your workflow to conform with your hardware limitations.

Regards.
MrToM.

ajeff37

Thank you, had the feeling that was the case. Do you know any settings I could change to try to optimize it?
Also another issue I've noticed is that photoshop won't use more than 28% CPU & about 300 - 400mb RAM. When photoshops running there's still another 50%ish more CPU it could use and about 4gb in RAM.

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do to improve matters.
You could change the affinity of the processor cores to give PS more priority but it rarely makes a noticeable difference.....best left alone.

Like any other app, PS will only use the amount of memory it needs, regardless of how much you have or how much you assign to it (via preferences).

One thing to keep an eye on though is just how much it does use with respect to the job you are doing.
PS is terrible at memory management and its taken Adobe till ver 2015 to admit the fact and do something about it....and even then then their half-hearted solution doesn't work anyway.

For example, if you work on a file that utilizes 2GB of memory but then move on to a much smaller file which only needs 500MB, PS will not release the extra memory it used before so that your system can use it for something else.

Adobe came up with some convoluted keyboard combination along with clicking the 'About Photoshop' menu option to clear the memory in 2015 but it still made no difference....2015.1 may be different, I couldn't say.

The only way to release that memory was to close and re-open PS....so if you notice PS starting to get sluggish check out its memory usage....you may find saving your work and re-loading PS will make a difference....it certainly wont hurt.

Other than that just keep background apps to a minimum.....check out your 'processes' list and see if there is anything you can shut down temporarily whilst you use PS. Firefox is known to be memory hungry too so not having that running at the same time will help....other browsers may have a similar effect.

There isn't really much you can tweak with mobile hardware, it has its limitations and that's that.....it can only be pushed so far.

Software like PS was never intended to run on mobile devices, it can do, but at the cost of performance.

Regards.
MrToM.