What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Needing Critique

Vince Joseph

Hello Guys,

I am new to photoshop and need some critical feedback on a photo I'm working on... It is attached below. I have NO idea how to make it look realistic. This is just a proficiency exercise as I am learning the ropes. Thanks for the feedback. I need all the help I can get...

Respectfully

Vince

Attachments

• Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

SPWA

Power User
The overall idea is good, but the crashed object and smoke do look stuck on at this point. You need to focus on blending. Getting the added object to look more realistic against the background.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Vince and welcome to PSG.

I would straighten the crashed object, it's at an angle, unless your implying that the object/ship is in flight. If that's the case, bring it up higher to slightly above the horizon and further into the foreground. Since this is a still shot and not video whereby the main subject (the ship) would move closer and closer to the foreground, you need to have the subject the main focus of the image and not the scenery. Right now the subject looks far away and like it's just floating in the water. The biggest issue is that there is not a shadow from that dense black smoke cloud on the right side canyon wall. As for the smoke cloud itself, lighten the sun side and darken the shaded side. The lighting of the smoke cloud is too consistent from top to bottom, the lower section of the cloud would be shaded by the canyon wall to the left.

Vince,

Welcome and good effort. It looks like you've blended multiple background pictures of some large (perhaps quite grand) canyon area. I would try it without blending background images, and follow the advice of the previous posters on your crashed vehicle.

Consider adding some tint to the smoke as the sky around is quite orange. The benefit of Photoshop is that you can always experiment with a separate layer, and just turn it off or delete it if you don't like the result.

Agent

Vince Joseph

Gentlemen,

Thank you SO much for the great feedback! I appreciate it so much. All your recommendations make sense. I will make the changes and repost the image for your review...

Vince Joseph

IamSam,

It is an image of a crashed aircraft. The explosion happens after impact. Im struggling to understand how to show the crash from a distance yet still keep it far from the viewer.

Hello Vince and welcome to PSG.

I would straighten the crashed object, it's at an angle, unless your implying that the object/ship is in flight. If that's the case, bring it up higher to slightly above the horizon and further into the foreground. Since this is a still shot and not video whereby the main subject (the ship) would move closer and closer to the foreground, you need to have the subject the main focus of the image and not the scenery. Right now the subject looks far away and like it's just floating in the water. The biggest issue is that there is not a shadow from that dense black smoke cloud on the right side canyon wall. As for the smoke cloud itself, lighten the sun side and darken the shaded side. The lighting of the smoke cloud is too consistent from top to bottom, the lower section of the cloud would be shaded by the canyon wall to the left.

Hi Vince
You should try to improve the blending of the colors in your image.
And don't forget the lighting. A big smoke cloud throws a big shadow.

I hope you don't mind if I used your image to show you what I mean.

Test chrisdesign.jpg

Vince Joseph

Chris,

I see! That makes sense and it actually makes the cloud look like it belongs there! I tried to blend another photo while I was waiting for more input on my first photo... Here is another one. Can you tell me what you think? Its a vehicle in the desert but as you can tell from where the tires meet the ground, it seems that the vehicle is floating?

MRAP2.jpg
Hi Vince
You should try to improve the blending of the colors in your image.
And don't forget the lighting. A big smoke cloud throws a big shadow.

I hope you don't mind if I used your image to show you what I mean.

View attachment 59207

Vince Joseph

I think that my main issue is color blending. I have no idea how to get the colors of different images to match. I have tired curves adjustments, color burn, painting with the "Color" brush as well as the "normal" brush.

To change colors try to use selective color correction, or Hue/Saturation.

This image has not enough contrast.
First I increased the contrast with the curves tool.

The red lines show where the light source is. From there every object throws a shadow.
I painted a softer shadow under the vehicle, and a harder one from the tires to the foreground. ( Set Shadow layers to multiply).
Reduce the opacity of the shadow layers or add gaussian blur as you like.

MRAP2 chrisdesign.jpg

Vince Joseph

Chris,

Im at a loss for words. THANK YOU so much! I have learned so much from you!!!

I will make the corrections myself trying to replicate yours exactly. I will re-post the image for your critique once I am finished. I appreciate your time.

The red lines show where the light source is. From there every object throws a shadow.
I painted a softer shadow under the vehicle, and a harder one from the tires to the foreground. ( Set Shadow layers to multiply).

View attachment 59215

Last edited:

Vince Joseph

Chris,

Here is the image with my corrections... I tried to replicate yours and I have to say... You were right on! I feel like it the vehicle looks organic to the background...
What do you think?

MRAP2.jpg

Vince Joseph

Here is another shot at photoshop coloring and blending... Let me know what you think. Also, please feel free to make corrections and post your version if you feel like it... Thanks again!

f18.jpg

Chris,

Here is the image with my corrections... I tried to replicate yours and I have to say... You were right on! I feel like it the vehicle looks organic to the background...
What do you think?

Hi
It looks much better, getting closer.
But I have to tell you that you forgot to use the curves tool to adjust the contrast. Here is a sccreenshot for you.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-13 um 21.06.10.png

When you've done that , go to Hue/Saturation and desaturate the image. Put in this value.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-13 um 21.07.34.png

Next step is Blacks Highlights.
go to Image>Corrections>Blacks/Highlights
Put in these values.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-13 um 21.12.29.jpg

When you've done that your result should be close to mine.

I feel that you want to learn fast, but thats not always the best way. Just take it easy, play around with different tools or different settings. Don't rush, you've got all the time in the world.
Do a nice and clean job, before you start your next project.

It is also advisable to start a new thread for each new composite.

Regards
Chris

Vince Joseph

Excellent Chris! I see what you mean... I will make the changes. Yea, sometimes I feel behind the power curve especially when I see your work and the work of others. I can't wait until my work looks that good!