What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create staggered slanting text

Nam Sohanta

Hi,

I'm a newbie - excuse me if this question has been asked before.

I'm trying to create a particular effect. I want to create a slanting text where each letter maintains it's vertical aspect. Like this:

D
L
E
I
F
F
E
H
S

I can do this by creating each letter individually and then using transform for the height and spacing for each letter etc but this is time consuming and as I have to do this lots of times for different text it becomes unfeasible to create it one letter at a time.
I'm wondering if there is a quick and easy way I can just type a line of text and then using some menu option to create this. Or perhaps there is a plugin I can use to achieve this.

Thanks for any help

Nam Sohanta

Oh damn the post is not showing the text slanted. It should be like below:
--------F
------F
----E
--H
S

gedstar

Guru

Nam Sohanta

Thanks, I'll have a look at that option, but yes the text is different each time and I need to do this for about a hundred different texts so may not be the best option.
Thanks anyway

Eggy

Retired Moderator
There is, beside gedstars option, a manual way involving typing the whole word.
Open the text tool and choose vertical type tool, and choose top alignment.
Type the first letter in the right upper corner and press enter, then 3 X spacebar. Type the second letter, press enter and 6 X spacebar ect..
Depending on the desired angle you can play with the settings in your typography box.
If there is another way I'll hear it on this forum...

staggered.jpg

Nam Sohanta

Ok thanks Eggy,

Shame there's no plugin that does this kind of thing with options. I'm sort of surprised there isn't actually considering how powerful Photoshop is in other respects.

But anyway thanks

Rich54

Guru
This is close, but not exactly what you want. However, the advantage is that it's very quick:
1. Enter your text using the Vertical Text tool.
2. Tilt the text using Edit > Transform > Skew.

Slanted Text.jpg

MrToM

Guru
I couldn't find a solution to reversing the text direction without enabling the 'Middle Eastern and South Asian' type option in the preferences so its possible but not pretty.

Also not pretty is skewing the text, the below works but I wouldn't say it was a practical solution for numerous images...anyway...this is how I would skew the text:

1. Create a rectangular path using the 'Rectangle' tool set to PATH.

2. Using the 'Horizontal Type' tool click within the PATH to start the text.
Type your text but just one letter per line....so letter then 'Enter', letter then 'Enter'...repeat.
This will create 'pseudo' vertical text.

3. In the 'Paragraph' panel make sure the text is RIGHT justified.

4. Using the 'Direct Selection' Tool select the top two anchor points of the PATH.

5. Move them to the right.

skew_text_MT_01.png

Like I said its not pretty but it works..... it may put someone on the path to a neater solution.

Regards.
MrToM.