What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fix a blown areas of the sky in a multi-picture image

rueggy

Hey guys,

First post here. I'm a relative newbie to photoshop but I've been watching video tutorials and such trying to figure out how to fix my image issue.

Basically, I took a few photos to create a panorama with photo merge. In the images that I took, I have 2 areas of blown-out sky (but these areas still have cloud information recorded). When I stitch the images together, it forms a sort of halo around the middle portion of the sky that is the correct bluish-grey. I have tried fixing the issue on both images individually and after they were stitched together as well. Neither approach seems to work to convincingly deal with the problem.

I have been trying different color range options to select the blown-out areas, and fill with the bluish-grey with reduced opacity. It worked decently well on the 2-image picture but i still have a U present. Any ideas on how to trump this little pain in my butt?

Disclaimer: I rushed a photo merge to show the original photo's blow-outs, so yes I do know that it's not cropped, the perspective is off, etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5.37.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5.37.21 PM.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.44.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.44.53 PM.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So your issue is here..

And you want to remove like this..

Am I right.. ?
I do believe that's what the OP was asking about. Care to share how you did it? It looks like you just cloned it out using the Clone Stamp Tool.

Last edited:

rueggy

I do believe that's what the OP was asking about. Care to share how you did it? It looks like you just cloned it out using the Clone Stamp Tool.

Yes, exactly what I was talking about. So it was done using the clone stamp and just reducing the opacity of the stamp? I was trying to make it look as natural as possible but every time I used that tool it seemed to look fake.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The Clone Stamp Tool may be adequate for this job but it's almost impossible to say without the original. If it's not any trouble, could you please post the original? That way we have something better than the small screenshot to work with. Thanks.

bijutoha14

Banned
Nop.. Actually I didn't use there Clone Stamp Tool. I have tried to understand the issue. Yes this is not looking genuine but it will be.

Tom Mann

Guru
I think the long term issue is not how to fix this particular image, but how to prevent this problem from happening to you again.

The most common reason for non-uniform illumination in panos is that the camera was on auto exposure mode. There are other potential causes (eg, not enough overlap between successive pix), but leaving auto exposure on is by far the most common reason. Is this what happened here. Also, you lost a lot of nice image area because the camera was not panned *exactly* in a horizontal plane. If you want to get into this type of photography, a carefully leveled tripod will do wonders to eliminating this.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
With respect to fixing this particular image, personally, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. I would either (a) drop in a completely different sky that doesn't have these problems, or (b) construct a new sky from bits and pieces of the current sky. I cooked up the attached version in a few minutes, but as Sam said, having a larger image to work with, and not just a screen shot with its lower resolution and terrible posterization would have been *really* helpful.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• orig2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-01.jpg
    orig2-tjm01-acr-ps03a_698px_wide-01.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 9