What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove brown spots

Raptoom

Hello
I have problem with large brown spots over the image. I was photographing northern lights with canon 5D MKII, ISO800, 10s and later discovered nasty spots over the whole image.
I made several shots and all these pictures have the same problem.
I show there only part of the picture to get closer view of the spots. I used noise reduction in raw converter but it did not affect to these spots.
Please help me to find solution to get off these spots.
123.jpg

MikeMc

McGuru
Many different ways to go.....BUT the whole image is needed to answer your question.

What caused the spots ? Dirt on your sensor is different than a color refraction, caused by light bouncing. Little more help here please:mrgreen:

This will show you what I mean. This was 2 minutes with the spot healing brush.....spots gone, BUT I have no idea if the WHOLE IMAGE looks OK now....

1234.png

Last edited:

Raptoom

Thank You MikeMc!
I dont really know what it caused. Pictures taken before and after are OK.

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post the original image of the aurora borealis?

Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry no image, try to upload it again. Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you seeing the brown spots in the original above?

Raptoom

Yes, but they are mixed with noise. Clearly seen in point where auroras rising from mountain.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sorry to be asking so many questions! I'm trying to drill down on this problem.

Did you add the noise? If so, do you have an original that has not been altered? I don't mind if it has been re-sized.

Raptoom

Thank You for asking questions, it is important to me and I shall give explanations with pleasure.
I was reducing noise luminance 50 unit and color 50 unit in photoshop raw converter.
Then I was correcting WB because it is too purple and after reducing tint in raw converter these brown spots were more visible.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! Thanks. Let me see what I can figure out.

Tom Mann

Guru
I hate to be obtuse, but I'm not sure I can identify the brown spots that you talking about. I even exaggerated the local contrast and the color in your image by all the usual techniques, and I'm still not sure I know exactly what you mean. Can you pls draw a red line around a few of the brown spots to help me identify them.

Thanks,

Tom M

Attachments

• 1234-tjm01_exaggerated-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    1234-tjm01_exaggerated-acr-ps01a-01.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 6

Tom Mann

Guru
By any chance, do you mean the brownish region I outlined in red? It's close to where the aurora is just above the mountains, as you described?

Tom M

Attachments

• 1234-tjm01_exaggerated-acr-ps02a_annotated-01.jpg
    1234-tjm01_exaggerated-acr-ps02a_annotated-01.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 17

hawkeye

Guru
Something like this might work for you.

Attachments

• Untitled20151018141257.png
    Untitled20151018141257.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I hate to be obtuse, but I'm not sure I can identify the brown spots that you talking about. I even exaggerated the local contrast and the color in your image by all the usual techniques, and I'm still not sure I know exactly what you mean. Can you pls draw a red line around a few of the brown spots to help me identify them.

Thanks,

Tom M

Like Tom, I can't find any brown spots in the original. I was also going to ask that you circle the areas in question.

Here I have made some minor color changes. I think I'm a bit too green.
AuroraBorealis_01.jpg

Paul

Former Member
I was not going to post but i to cannot see any brown spots only a orange tinge to the edge of the green portions maybe (and that is slight).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I marked with red pencil some of them.
Thanks, but the brush tool in Photoshop would have been easier to see.

I can see some slight variation (not brown) in the area you have penciled, but this seems to go away with color management.