What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to mask a combined image.

ringwood

Hi all,

First time poster here - I'm having trouble with a task that should be relatively easy. I'm not new to Photoshop - certainly not a whiz by any stretch of the imagination, but I've always been able to accomplish most projects..until this one. Grrrr! This is for work on Monday and it's on deadline, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

What I need to do is to mash together 2 different photos, like this: 8-rockymountainhouse-whitecourt.jpg

Should be pretty simple one would think, but I AM STUMPED. Sheesh! What I've been trying to do is create a mask that covers one side (and that I can flip if need be to cover the other side). This is for an ongoing poll/contest where it pits 'This city' VS 'That city' sort of thing - a best of. So, right now, I have a set of images that have already been done by someone else, and these images will need to be updated with the winning towns throughout the contest. I'm not even sure that creating a mask is the best thing to be doing here. I need advice and/or steps on how to do this easily with minimal hassles for each set of pictures I need to create.

I feel like a twit asking as I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this! Help! Thanks so much for any and all advice...Cheers!

Sorry, forget to mention I'm using Photoshop CS3

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Add a layer mask to your image.
Take your Pen Tool and make a selection of one section of your image.
Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 11.57.28 PM.png

With the mask selected, fill the selection with black.
(I've added a white BG)
Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 12.00.36 AM.png

Again with the mask selected, hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the mask.
Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 12.01.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 12.01.55 AM.png

ringwood

Aha! This is exactly what I need...fantastic! Thanks. I KNEW it had to be way easier than what I was trying to do. Thanks so much for the help. Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! Since the title of this thread is so confusing, I'm going to change it.