What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glow Around The Border Of Image Effect

kerosity

Hey Guys, still learning photoshop :)

I'm messing around with glowing effects. So I'm trying to replicate the image that's attached:
image-main.png

In order to get the glowing border, it looks like they use a 1 pixel white stroke, and then used inner/outer glows to get the border.

When I try to replicate it, it looks REALLY clunky. The stroke is really obvious and doesn't really fit in with the "Glow".

bleh.png

What are they doing to make it look so crisp and like the image is actually glowing?

I'm just imagining how it could have been created.....

I don't think there's an inner glow. The stroke is white and seems like the fill opacity was slightly lowered.

If you look at the middle top portion of the original, it's just an outer stroke. The extra glow you see at the corners could have been created using another border created on a layer but with 2 or 3 pixels and applying BLUR filter. Then using the eraser tool set to airbrush with soft edges to delete portions of top and sides leaving corners with glow. Lower the layer opacity.

just imagineering....

This was the closest I got...

Glow_MT_01.png

I can furnish you with details if its anywhere near.

Regards.
MrToM.

Even if it's not MrTom, can you post the details..........I'd like to know.

Mines not as close as yours is,
Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 2.44.16 PM.png

Last edited:
...Even if it's not MrTom, can you post the details...
Of course mate...no worries.

First of all it needs to be noted that this is a direct copy of the OP's example.....when done for real the colours and transparency values may have to be changed in order to allow for the fact the 'effects' are ON TOP of the layers below.....my example replicates the RESULT, not the elements that make it.

1. Usual start.....just a filled rectangle with the 'Fill' set to zero....yawn.
2. Add 3 'fx' to the layer:

A. Stroke.
Sample the example stroke for the colour.....its not white.
Glow_stroke_MT_01.png

B. Outer Glow.
Change to 'Gradient'.
Set transparency of the end colour to zero.
Set BOTH start AND end colours to the next pixel OUTSIDE of the stroke...this is important even if the end colour is 100% transparent!
Change the 'Brightness' value of the start colour to 100%. (Use the 'B' of HSB in the colour picker)
NOTE: Change the 'Contour' to the one shown in the image....I've no idea what it's called.
Glow_Outer_MT_01.png

C. Inner Glow.
Repeat the same process for the colours but sample the next pixel on the INSIDE of the stroke.
It may look better with the same 'Contour' here also...I didn't do it but ya never know!
Glow_Inner_MT_01.png

I think thats all.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
Hopefully you can get close to that....I saved the PSD just in case I needed to post it, went to open it again and guess what....

Sheeeeesh_MT_01.png

...don't ya just love Adobe products?

Last edited:
Of course mate...no worries.

Set BOTH start AND end colours to the next pixel OUTSIDE of the stroke...this is important even if the end colour is 100% transparent!
Change the 'Brightness' value of the start colour to 100%. (Use the 'B' of HSB in the colour picker)

Thanks for the details! I don't understand this part of it. What do you mean by setting the colours to the next pixel outside of the stroke?

Also, how did you find the right color for the stroke? It looked white to me.

No worries...

Use the colour picker to sample the colours from the image.
This is what I had to do anyway as I don't have the original layered PSD file....only the image you supplied.

You don't have to sample the colours, you can choose what you want but for me trying to replicate the effect I had to sample them.....the stroke, the pixel next to it on the outside, and the pixel next to it on the inside...

Pixel_inside_outside_MT_01.png

I should add that I also placed a BLACK layer under the example image as it contained transparency.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Back