What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove the opendoor/room that's partly behind her?

Charlesgar

Hi people,

I've spent about an hour and a half (my very first try at photoshop) trying various tools and watching some tutorials, but I still haven't found a way to make this right:

my goal is to take away the whole bathroom and to make it look like the wall just continues behind the girl.
**Yes, the photo is "cellphone" quality, and I think a filter was used. But I really want to figure this out.

Every time I tried, either the shadows on the wall sucked, either she had some weird color in her hair.. either it just sucked overall. I tried the lasso, which didn't work well for me, the clone tool, and a couple more.. nothing did it right! (from a beginner's point of view haha)

Tips please!! Here's the photo:

12165395_10205381758766877_850735243_o.jpg

Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited:

takinu

Banned
I think you must check some useful tutorials on Hair Masking..

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

MrToM

Guru
All I used here was the 'Clone Stamp' tool and the 'Healing Brush' tool, on a duplicate layer which was then masked to bring back the hair...

charlesgar_bog_remover_MT_01.jpg

charlesgar_bog_remover_MT_01.png

You're on the right track with the tools, you just maybe need to have more experience with them?

Unfortunately that's not something I can write in a forum post...you'll have to do that yourself but in 10 mins I did the above which is pretty bad....with more time and practice I'm sure you could do so much better.

This is quite a good image to practice on too.....there is a gradient over the wall, and the hair....both of which are particularly difficult to get looking right.

There are lots of 'Hair Masking' tutorials around and with some practice you'll get there.....although to be honest this kind of thing is running before learning to walk.....but don't let that stop you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Rich54

Guru
I did this very quickly using the Pen tool and the Gradient tool. The first attachment is the final product. The second attachment illustrates what I did.

Focusing on the second attachment, I used the Pen tool to create a path that gave me the selection outlined in yellow (it's yellow just for illustration so that you can see it better). I ignored the wispy hairs on the side of her head and simply created a smooth border rather than trying to achieve the extremely difficult selection of all the individual strands of hair. You can always go back and manually draw strands of hair later. I also used the Pen tool to create another path for the outline of the strip of molding along the floor.

Once I had the the path created, I made a selection from it and applied a gradient in a diagonal direction as shown by the red arrow. The wall in your original photo has a lot of grainy texture, which I ignored here in the interest of time, but that can also be added later. Lastly, I created the molding strip at the bottom using my second path and applied another gradient to that using lighter colors. I also gave the molding a small bevel & emboss.

Wall1.jpg

Wall2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also masked out the area by making a selection with the Pen Tool and then adding a layer mask.
Then I used the Clone Stamp Tool and the Brush Tool to extend the base board.
I added a new 'wall'. I added some noise to the wall to match the rest of the image.
I then added the darker gradient.

Lastly, I used the Brush Tool (with a wacom tablet) to add back the stringy hairs.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 11.17.11 PM.png

Here's the layers panel.
Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 11.30.24 PM.png

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
I just used a gradient and matched the colors close to the hair, so I wouldn't have to make any difficult selection. Added some noise to the gradient to match. It needs to be refined of course, but this version only took about 2 minutes minutes.

Attachments

• 59573d1446172031t-how-remove-opendoor-room-thats-partly-behind-her-12165395_10205381758766877_85.jpg
    59573d1446172031t-how-remove-opendoor-room-thats-partly-behind-her-12165395_10205381758766877_85.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry, but I just couldn't stand the hideous Zombie Magenta skin tone, so starting with Rich's tweaked version, I quickly came up with this.

Tom M

Attachments

• Wall1-tjm01-acr-ps02a_sRGB_698px-for_GIF.gif
    Wall1-tjm01-acr-ps02a_sRGB_698px-for_GIF.gif
    464.5 KB · Views: 18