What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 effects I don't know how to make

joukiavi

Hello there! Could you please help me to understand how should I make this 2 kind of effects:

002.jpg

001.jpg

The first image background effect without "your logo" thing. This is some kind of brush, right... Where can I get one of this like(for free if possible :) )
The second image effect is alike the first one, I guess, but I don't need this kind of brush, but I want to make the same flare effect. How can I make it?

Is this youtube tutorial a good one for this or what can you suggest instead:

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This video has absolutely nothing to do with the effect you are trying to recreate. Since it is so very different, I'm interested as to why you posted it because there's no way for us to know what your wanting.

Also, your images are too small to make out any details. Do you have larger versions?

joukiavi

Well, I don't really know how to create this effects, but the tutorial above do help to recreate the effect on the second image. It's not the same, ofc, but it's the closest thing I found. That's why I started this topic and asked you for help, so people with higher experience would help me to understand how to make them exactly.
I don't have larger versions.

Helios

On the second image, when you say 'flare' effect, do you mean the way the purple colour fades into black over in the corners?

If so, this is more likely to be a gradient. To get to the gradient tool, go to the main toolbar, click and hold the paint bucket icon, and then move the mouse to the gradient symbol in the little menu that comes up. This is a square icon in which white fades to black. (I am using an older version of Photoshop, so if this has changed, please feel free to correct me, anyone.)

Select your colours as normal - the two colours you have selected will be what the gradient uses, eg fading from purple to black.
Look at the options you now have at the top of the screen (different gradient shapes, styles etc) and play around. You just click and drag on the canvas and let go to produce the gradient. It can be tricky at first to get them lying in the right direction and fading to the degree that you want, but you soon get a feel for it. The longer the line is that you drag across the canvas, the smoother the gradient.
It looks like the specific shape you want for your example is the 'diamond' shaped gradient - this should be an icon at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps!

Regarding the first image, that really is too small to be able to tell how it was done for sure, but you might end up with something similar if you play with the gradients and paint gentle, thin brush strokes over the top, blur and smudge tools (R) could also then work - all I can advise here is to experiment!

Last edited:

joukiavi

Thanks, Helios, but I don't think it's a gradient... Perhaps I'm doin' something wrong, of course, but I just tried your method just to make sure and this became completely different, take a look at the attachment.

Attachments

• qwerty.jpg
    qwerty.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1

joukiavi

BTW: have a look to the large picture of the effect I'm trying to make, it's clearly the flare, I think. But I'm not sure, of course.

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 20

Helios

If you ignore the pattern (which I was assuming you were) I think that is the diamond gradient in the example. There is a slight curve to the dark areas that fade in from the corners which could be achieved using additional round gradients on transparent layers, or very large, soft brushwork.

The thing with photoshop is that you can achieve the same or similar appearance of things using many different methods, and not all the tools will achieve the desired effect without some tweaking using additional tools (or at least that's my experience).

What I posted would be the method I'd choose to try and recreate the example. It may not be the method others would use, so feel free to choose another one if it fits better. :)

joukiavi

I'm probably too dumb to figure it out... Tried what ever I could, didn't help with gradient tool

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I can say is, based on the only reference that we have available, that it's almost impossible to make a call as to what it is. This is not a matter of you being to dumb to figure it out as it is an issue of not having adequate reference for us to help you to figure it out.

This image had to have come from somewhere. Can you provide a link to the original?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@joukiavi ....

We will never know the source images nor procedure used to create it. You don't have to make it hard for yourself. Example 1 could have been created using a banner size portion of a fractal image or even grass and color edited. One can only try to re-create an image....

Don't look at the overall effect ... look at what shapes you see .....

effect02.gif

My try isn't perfect but somewhat close.....

STEP 1 - Create document with desired background color.

STEP 2 - On a 2nd layer, I used the 4 point star brush which I sized up and rotated/moved into position.

STEP 3 - Apply Gaussian blur,

STEP 4 - Set layer to OVERLAY and lower opacity to 50. (edit) -- Looking at your sample, I think you have to lower it a bit more.....

STEP 5 - Add a new layer. I used a large soft edge brush. Click in center of document and drag into position.

STEP 5 - Repeat step 4.

STEP 6 - On a new layer and with the same brush used to create the glow, create the dark corners. Brush from top to left or right with a slight curve. Use the eraser set to airbrush and a low pressure to retouch the edges as Helios suggested.

STEP 7 - Add in whatever extra elements you want..... DONE

Take note ..... Adding a black filigree or shape in the empty areas will make that area look darker..... I forgot that part and too sleepy (it's bedtime) to go at it again.... sorry.