What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change Grayscale Swirls to Color?

chilly8063

Im new at photoshop (hence why Im posting in this section of the forum) and am using Photoshop CS6

I am trying to manipulate the following photo

blog_bg_inner_1412136271_zpsdjckiwvk.jpg

Its a really light gray type of swirl that I want to change the swirl color to a solid purple for example. Nothing fancy, just want to get the darn thing to a different color!

I tried using the "replace color" tool and it is instead changing the entire picture color. So it changes the entire thing to a different hue including the white background.

I hate to ask, but would anyone have any helpful tips on how I can change the gray swirls in this picture to a solid color??:bangdesk:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello chilly and welcome to PSG.

One of the better ways to change colors of patterns like this is to make a selection of the pattern itself. However, due to the poor quality and low resolution of this image, it's almost impossible to achieve a decent result. Your best bet would be to find a higher res image of this or a similar pattern.

No matter what color you manage to make it, it will not look very good.
Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 11.47.16 PM.png

Last edited:
I made 4 layers of the image, blend mode multiply. Then flattened them to one layer.
Like this I could make a good selection to fill it with color.
Finally I applied some TOPAZ Clean filter.

blog_bg_inner_1412136271_zpsdjckiwvk chrisdesign.jpg