What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Customizing an overlay for an musical device!

OIC

Hi Gurus

To make a long story short (see my introduction here for more info), I'm a musician/producer hellbent on customizing and restoring my gear learning PS as I go a long.

I've bought a Behringer BCR-2000 which is a device that controls a synthesizer that I have that has no onboard controls - all the functions are "hidden" inside the synthesizer so to speak.
It's a nice synthesizer with a functionality that would probably cost 1200+$ from modern standards since it's analog and very well-built.

2j67drc.jpgbehringer-b-control-rotary-bcr2000-72336.jpg

The thing is: First of all both the controller and the synthesizer (a Sequential Circuits MAX) are ugly as hell (and I'm sort of a vain/aesthetically-minded person when it comes to my gear - I want to make them beautiful for gigging) and secondly the BCR-2000 is a universal controller meaning that the knobs and buttons do not have text underneath them, i.e. it isn't described how it interacts with the synthesizer because it's designed for all sorts of gear.

Basically what I want to do is make them look like an older synthesizer of the same brand that today is renowned for it's simple, marvelous looks - the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 (or similar models like the Pro One).
kb_as_sci_prophet-5.jpgsciproone.jpg

I have a friend who is carpenter who can make them some vintage-looking wooden sides. What I want to do, then, is redesign the front panel of the synthesizer and get a silkscreen-guy to help me make it and also design an overlay (preferably a high quality sticker) to put on the BCR-2000.

My first project is the BCR-2000, so that is the first thing I'll need help with. Luckily there's people on the internet who has had the same exact problem (http://www.rhodeschroma.com/?id=chromatrol), so there's already a photoshop template that I've been able to use.

The problem with this template is that it doesn't cover the entire surface of the controller (again, because I'm a detail-minded person this bothers me). For instance there's the space between the knobs and the overlay stops short above the buttons on the top tier unlike the ones created by these guys. I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar problem which is why I'm turning to you guys:

How would I go about making sure that the overlay matches the entire surface of the controller? Would it require precise physical measurements of the controller or is there a work-around?

Then comes the actual design: How do I most faithfully recreate the artwork of the SCI Prophet 5/Pro One synthesizer on the BCR-2000 overlay? I've tried locating the fonts and have found the logo (the Stop font) and the model (the Celtic font), but have been unable to find the basic font that's in the rounded squares via What'sThatFont and similar sites... probably because a lot of the images of the synthesizers are not of high enough resolution and are slightly tilted.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:

colleague

Guru
You need exact measurements
and the font that is used looks like Arial

here is a example how that would look like

Attachments

• PROPHET 5.jpg
    PROPHET 5.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 8

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there....

This will need some thought.....

I've done guitars as I used to be a guitarist-musician way back ..... but never tried on a keyboard. lol.

So the controller/sequencer has led indicators on the dials. Are you retaining or covering that up in the planned wood work ? Are you planning to change the dials as well?

We may need you to furnish exact measurements of the current dial , the led indicator area and push button switches ..... and if possible, a non-angled front view picture of the control panel as well as it's exact dimensions/specs....

Re-reading your post ..... You also want to do the keyboard.... to make it look like old-school equipment. Like an older KORG or minimoog?

OIC

Hi again

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, Colleague, Arturia has pretty much nailed it in their plugin.

I already have these templates from which it should be possible at least to tell the diameter of the knobs (they're all alike)
http://www.rhodeschroma.com/content/BCR2000/chromatrol/BCHR2000.psd

I don't want to change anything on the BCR-2000, I just want to create a sticker for the panel and make sure that all areas are covered like this one from the SynthGraphics: http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/BCR/BCR2000_Alpha.png

They actually have a picture of it printed here: http://www.synthgraphics.com/images/BCR/Kiwi3P_BCR2000.png but it doesn't match scale-wise. Is there a function to scale it up and make it match the actual size of the controller (by for example using the measurements of the templates?)

If not, and this might be a stupid question, is there any special tools to make precise measurements or are we talking a good old-fashioned ruler and then trial and error here?

OIC

Hi again!

I've measured the BCR-2000 now.

I first measured the sides in centimetre and they were all odd. Luckily the ruler had "inches" on the other side as well, so it turned out they've probably designed it with that in mind (I thought Behringer was German though?)

B & D is 9 inches (22,8 cm), C is 5 inches (12,7 cm) and A is 2,45 inches (6,223 cm)

colleague

Guru
here is a resized version to try

Attachments

• Kiwi3P_BCR2000 resized.png
    Kiwi3P_BCR2000 resized.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 19

OIC

Thanks!

For future reference - after all I'm here to learn! - how did you do the resizing?

colleague

Guru
first I did some calculation , if B and D has to be 9" and on the start image is that 515 px, than the whole image has to be 9 *677/515 inch

I made an average for the 3 measurements , its possible that the image still has to be adapted a little bit

resize the image in photoshop= goto image > image size ,and fill in width = 11,8 inch and resolution 300 px/inch

OIC

Right!

Looking at the template I had intially - the Chromatrol (http://www.rhodeschroma.com/content/BCR2000/chromatrol/BCHR2000.psd) - it is 29,7 cm wide, and using my ruler I can confirm that is the exact size. There is a tiny unfilled border/edge on the resized version, however, so even though I change the image to 29,7 cm width, it still won't be correct, will it?
How do I make sure it's the size of the layer only? And is there any way I can use the Chromatrol-files to match it?

Thanks a bunch for guiding me so far, btw! Really appreciate it.

colleague

Guru
the Kiwi is a png with a little transparancy on the border , is that what you mean ?
than you can select with rectangle selection the part you need and go to "image>crop" and resize that to 29,7 cm

you can also use the chromatrol and go to image >imagesize with width 29,7 cm

and with image>canvas-size you can keep the width but change the height of the canvas

peta62

Guru
Re: Designing a custom overlay for controller

Hello,
I am not sure I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong, but on those links I see photos of already done overlays. Do you want design of other in order to look like picture or do you want to use it as a drawing for production ? In the later case I do not think Photoshop is the best tool to use, although it is possible. In the former case I would start with the photo of your device and modify it into the overlay you wish to picture. Does it make sense to you or do I miss anything ?
Best regards,
Peter

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

This has already been discussed here in this thread, so I have moved the conversation back to the original thread.

Last edited:

peta62

Guru

This has already been discussed here in this thread, so I have moved the conversation back to the original thread.

Thank you, this explains my question. In this case I do not think Photoshop would be the ideal tool. Anyhow if you want to use it, I would start with EXACT photo, meaning front photo from tripod, so that all the dimensions have the same ratio. The next step is to modify the look as you wish, while the last step would be resizing based on your printer or any equipment you want to make it on.
Best regards,
Peter

Edit : It would be perfect to put two rulers perpendiculary, aside your controler, so the picture can be modified into exact shape.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru

I'm confused too.
...do not cover the buttons and the entire front panel entirely...
Colleague has already supplied you with a template, which to me looks like it covers everything you need.....what part of the machine does it not cover?

... So I got the blank Photoshop file, where do I start? ...
Well....what file is that then? How does it differ from what colleague kindly produced for you?

Why don't you post that so we can see what you have to work with?

... Should I measure the physical size of the controller to the best of my abilities first? ...
That very much depends on the 'purpose' of the project.

If you intend to print this out and use it as an actual overlay then of course it will need to be of the correct size....but hasn't colleague already gone through this with you?

I think we all understand completely what you are trying to do so there is no need to repeat it for a third time but what isn't clear is why that which has already been suggested, provided and explained isn't working or good enough for you.

... I'm a total newbie...
We're all for helping out "newbies" but at the moment its impossible to say what to do next without knowing at what stage you are at now, what you have to work with and what it is you need guidance on.

From what I can tell this isn't a complicated project and to be honest quite a good one to cut your teeth on.

Having said that it would be impractical to instruct you from start to finish without you knowing 'some' basic tools, methods, procedures and most importantly the terminology that PS uses, that would be a big advantage....that's what we use here too.

Check out video's on YouTube for different tools and basic workflows, try them out, get comfortable using them.....if you have difficulties then by all means ask here and we will help you....but you need to at least try first.

If you know nothing about PS at all then starting with a 'project' isn't the way to go and it would be a very time consuming and boring process for anyone to try to instruct you through it, even a simple project like this....least of all a little beyond the enormous generosity of the members here.

Baby steps......and we'll help you take them if you need it.

Regards.
MrToM.