What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats this cooli effect is called ??

balavalli

Hi Gurus i found these 2 images on google and one is the original image and the other ones is from a web site .I really wonder how this photo manipulation effect is called ? See how they cool made the image as a blt light in color.I would like to know whats thsi effect is called and any tutorial is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think do they play with the blend modes etc??

test.jpg

You could just create a new layer above the image layer and fill this layer with 50% gray and set the blend mode to screen
Shift + Backspace will bring up the Fill Dialog, select 50% Grey from the Contents

Forgot the mention you may need to lower the Opacity of this layer to about 60% to get the desired effect

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
"Oeps, you're fast Ged! :cheesygrin:"

Had my Berocca Boost this morning :cheesygrin:

Last edited:
The original name of this effect was "halation". It was a common problem in film days, and caused highlights to spread into the darker areas, forming what was often called "halos". These days, I usually just call it "highlight spreading".

Because this effect lowered the contrast of the film by raising the black level in areas near bright lights, it was rarely desired, and this prompted film manufacturers to incorporate anti-halation layers into film stock. It is related to a similar effect called photometric burnout (click on the link and either search for this term on the page or scroll down about 80% of the page).

The original effect is not accurately simulated by a simple overall brightening or raising of the darker tones because in halation, the spillover only occurs in proximity to bright areas. One easy way to simulate it a bit more accurately is to make a copy of the image, blur it (...in this case by 50-100 px), set the layer blending mode to lighten or screen, and adjust opacity and the BlendIF sliders to taste. Here is a quick and dirty example of this approach.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• blur_highlights-ps03c_698px_wide-annotated_merged-8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    blur_highlights-ps03c_698px_wide-annotated_merged-8bpc-for_GIF.gif
    278.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks a lot Gurus. i followed your valuable tips and tutorials and heres my effort

This is the worked out image :

b1.jpg

This is the Original Image

b.jpg

Last edited:

Back