What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I do this text effect?

KatS

Hi, I'm making a banner image and would like my text to look like this:

Text.png

Could someone explain how to do this?

Helios

Hi Kat,

The simplest way I can think of is by using the shape tool (U) on a layer underneath your text. Selecting the tool will bring up a selection of different shapes at the top of the screen. Use the rounded rectangle in the colour you want (click and drag on the canvas), then adjust the opacity of those shape layers (using the slider at the top of the layers dialogue).
The colour is adjusted using the little box at the top of the screen to bring up the colour picker. Just ensure you have the right shape selected by clicking on its thumbnail in the layers list.

The corners can be adjusted to be more or less rounded - with the rounded rectangle tool selected at the top, adjust the number of pixels in the text field next to the shape buttons. The higher the number, the more rounded the corners will be.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: This answer applies to my version of PS, which is CS2 - my apologies.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
To be honest that's a very vague question with very little detail.

Although Helios has given a good solution it does assume certain things...mainly that you are using the same PS version.

If you tell us exactly what the problem is, or what it is you are having difficulty with, and your PS version you'll find you'll get a more specific response to your question.

The more specific you are the better the solution we can give you......if the above doesn't work for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

KatS

To be honest that's a very vague question with very little detail.

Although @Helios has given a good solution it does assume certain things...mainly that you are using the same PS version.

If you tell us exactly what the problem is, or what it is you are having difficulty with, and your PS version you'll find you'll get a more specific response to your question.

The more specific you are the better the solution we can give you......if the above doesn't work for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

I'm using CS5 for Mac.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: How do I recreate this text effect?

Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were asking about the font itself in the other thread. So I have moved my answer here.

The way I would go about figuring out the text used in your example, would be to use What the Font, What Font Is, or Matcherator.

First I open the image in Ps.

Then I isolate the text on top and save as a jpeg.
Text1.jpg

I opened the jpeg at What the Font.
I entered the missing letters.
Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.57.41 AM.png

Hit continue and it will give you a page of suggestions.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Doh - do shapes not work like that in later versions?...
LOL....no worries.

Earlier versions do not have the ability to edit the corner radius once you've created the shape....

...and now it comes to light that the OP is indeed using an older version which doesn't support that option.

So we now know the version, AND the OS, (Which is also VERY useful!), just waiting on what the OP needs help with.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really do think they want to know how to create the rounded rectangle with the text.

Helios

LOL....no worries.

Earlier versions do not have the ability to edit the corner radius once you've created the shape....

...and now it comes to light that the OP is indeed using an older version which doesn't support that option.

I'm using CS5 for Mac.

And I'm on CS2. Kat is on a later version to me not an earlier one, just to clarify. So if I can round off the corners, maybe it's also possible in CS5?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
And I'm on CS2. Kat is on a later version to me not an earlier one, just to clarify. So if I can round off the corners, maybe it's also possible in CS5?
Yeah....I really meant the corner radius editing as being an example of something which is only available on later versions, in this case CC onwards I think.

I didn't really make that clear sorry......me mum was calling me in for me tea!

The OP may have been using a version which has this option and could have been added to your method....as it turns out they don't have the option in CS5 anyway so.....

Whatever.....your method is fine, no quibbles there. :thumbsup:

I dunno if Mac is any different to Win in the shape department.....I wouldn't think so but you never know with Adobe.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The mac should not be any different, but I have never used CS5 before so I can't say for sure.

I would love to offer some help here, but we have had a trend of posters who never come back. So I'll wait until we hear back from the OP.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did shower and brush my teeth. I used deodorant. Perhaps it is the cologne.

KatS

I figured out how to do it, the font I used is Open sans, and I just used the rounded rectangular tool to make a shape , reduced the opacity and put the text in front of it. Simples

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent work! Good job!

Thanks for sharing.