What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some coloring help....

Savaasana1525

Hi all! Just posted a thread yesterday and learned how to create a ribbed glass effect....now I just need to figure out how to the coloring I want!

Here's a picture of what I have so far....

PaintingFINAL1.jpg

I'm doing a painting series...the first painting is based off of this image, so I want to have a similar color distribution.

painting3 copy 2.jpg

I'm not doing the green and blue, but red orange and yellow. Just want to keep the ratio of black and a lighter color if that makes sense.
I'm mostly familiar and can work my way around photoshop!

Tom Mann

Guru
Google { gradient map photoshop tutorial }. I'm not sure exactly what you want, but my guess is that a gradient map will get u close.

Tom M

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Not sure if this is what you may need. But you can convert it to a QUADTONE.

PaintingQuadClr.jpg

First, convert your painting to Grayscale. If desired, optimize it's tonal range.... Select Image, Adjust, Curves and select the black or white eyedropper from the Curves dialog box to set the black or white point and optimize the tonal range.

I
n MENU>MODE>DUOTONE. Select Quadtone and pick your colors. If you selected the colors using the color picker, you have to manually name them.

Finally, to have greater control over the highlights, midtone, and shadows, play with the Curve Box. Click once on the Curve Box next to Inks to bring up the curve dialog box.

PS.... Is the inset image colors what you had in mind? I've been trying to get it right with Quads using the colors you mentioned but I feel a Tritone will work.

Savaasana1525

It's kind of hard to describe what I'm talking about....it's more than I want the figure darker and the background lighter, like the original image. More black, I guess. I'm not sure if there's a way to do this

thebestcpu

Guru
HI Savaasana

Its not quite clear to me what you desire. The image below shows a way to change the tone and color independently.
Lowest Layer is the original image
Next Higher level is an optional Curves Adjustment Layer to adjust tone (this could be a Levels Adjustment Layer as instead)
Next Higher is a duplicate of the original image yet the blend mode is set to Color. This will use the Luminosity/Tone from the lower two levels and combine it with the Color of this and the next higher level
Top Layer is a Hue Saturation Layer set as a Clipping Mask. While this can change Hue, Sat, and Tone, since we have set the Layer below to Blend of Color, only the Hue and Saturation components will be used and combined with the Luminosity/Tone of the two lower levels.

I have shown the result with the Curves adjustment Layer set to default (no adjustment) and the Hue/Sat Layer set as shown in the image.

Hope this is helpful yet a better description of what you really want will be key to targeting better recommendations

Tone separt from Color adjustment.jpg.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It's kind of hard to describe what I'm talking about....it's more than I want the figure darker and the background lighter, like the original image. More black, I guess. I'm not sure if there's a way to do this

It would be difficult for anyone here to hit a bull's eye on what it is you want to see. What you want is in your mind's eye and only you will know it when you see it.

Why not go ahead and experiment in color enhancing your above image with what has been suggested by everyone to approximate what you want. With it, we'll see what else can be done to make it better which meets what you desire.....

If it's more black that you want and you want to try a quadtone, prep your grayscale conversion to increase the dark/black tones before applying the quadtone and adjust the curve of the BLACK ink.

BlackAdj.jpg

Or apply an adjustment layer as what bestcpu suggested on whatever you come up with........