What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frame Animation Help

BillJoSe

Hi,

I am beginning to work with frame animation and my idea is to have two glasses come together one from the right and one from the left side), collide, and break.

Do not know how to make the glasses collide into each other....

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi Bill....

Since you'll be making the glasses go forward, there's no need to create layer copies of the glasses. All you need to do is to use the nudge keys to move them in the animation frames.

IMPORTANT --- It's only when you need to rotate the object that you use layer duplicates. If you don't and would do the steps below, the glasses in all frames in the timeline will be affected as well.

In creating this, I deleted the duplicate of the glass and will be using just 2 layers. I've positioned the right hand glass at the center approximately where the glasses will impact each other. This is so to make it easy and faster for me to do this tutorial. But you have do the steps below but with the glass at the opposite side.

Step 01 --- Preparation .. I've moved the left glass off scene in preparation for the animation. Do the same for the right side glass on the opposite side, This is your first frame.

Ani01.jpg

Step 02 --- Duplicate the frame.

Ani02.jpg

Step 03 ---With the left side glass layer selected, hit SHIFT+nudge right key. I think I hit the nudge key about 15 times to get the glass in this position.....

Ani03.jpg

Repeat Step 2. But this time, nudge the glass to the point where they'll collide. This is the point of impact just before the glass shattering....

Ani04.jpg

You're done with the first part..... and here's how it looks.... sorry... I couldn't resist toying with it a bit more.... :cheesygrin:

AnimatedProject_dv2.gif

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The second half involves the shattering glass. I leave that to you to think about how you want it.

But as a suggestion.... this where you'll need to work on razterized duplicates of the the L&R glass layers. Break the glasses.... by cutting them into fragments.

You can also add cracks on the glass rims on the next frame just before fragmentation sequence....

This is the hard part as there'll be a lot of nudging and scattering to do.....

BillJoSe

Hi and thank you for your reply. I did view those tutorials before I posted onto the forum and I still had trouble.

BillJoSe

Hi,

thank you for your reply. Would it be possible to have both glasses collide into each other and not just the left glass colliding into the right glass? Is there a way to move both glasses into the frame at the same time?

Paul

Former Member
Something quick does this meet the request in any way?

AnimatedProject.gif:cheesygrin:

BillJoSe

Would you be able to message me with directions on how I can create this in Photoshop? That way I can learn how to do what you did.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would you be able to message me with directions on how I can create this in Photoshop? That way I can learn how to do what you did.

Any help you receive should remain within the thread.

If you viewed any of the videos I linked you to you should now understand the tweening process.

I did this using three layers and tweening in the timeline.

AnimatedProject2.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I widened the road.

Set up your road layer and your two glass layers to look like this:
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 9.45.12 PM.png

Here is the layers panel:
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 9.45.18 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Open your timeline and create frame animation.

You should have one frame that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 9.47.30 PM.png

Now hit the 'duplicate selected frame' icon on the timeline.
Should now look like this:
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 9.47.54 PM.png

Leave the second frame selected!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, what specific video because you sent me a link to multiple YouTube videos?
You should have looked over as many as possible...............until you fell asleep on your keyboard!

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Bill i don't do off site requests it gives no one else a heads up, pm's are for saying hi or bitching about peeps etc, not for doing PS related transactions/tuts or freebies.
Sams got it covered.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Paul. Obviously Sam does not have this covered.

I'll leave it for dv8.

Paul

Former Member
Sam does have it covered though, great advice as always mate.:thumbsup:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi,

thank you for your reply. Would it be possible to have both glasses collide into each other and not just the left glass colliding into the right glass? Is there a way to move both glasses into the frame at the same time?

Yes it''s possible but I mentioned in my post that my presentation was a shortcut. You must do the same procedure with the right hand glass with a starting point off-scene at "stage right".

It's up to you how you want it. Sam did a slow-mo version that requires a lot of frames. You can do tweening if you want but it tends to slow down the animation if you have more than 3 frames. Do you want it like captured on a hi-speed camera and viewed at a slower speed? This is where tweening may help with the effect but with mush lesser frames to start with compared to the number of frames Sam used.

Mine was sort of like normal speed as if thrown at each other but with a different ending... lol. The glass run took 2 frames.

Paul's rendition is complete from start to fragment scatter. Only that his version is like slowed down stop motion.

But the essence of how it's done can be found in the animation frames if you download his gif.. In fact the gist of what we all did is contained in the animations we've uploaded. Download, open in CS and study what we did in the timeline and corresponding layers.....

What you need to do is all up there........ you have to experiment.