What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a picture stand out.......

efiste2

I recently found a picture of myself as a new born baby and my Mum, its a 45 year old slide I have scanned in. Its in quite rough condition, but id love to frame it for her as a gift. Ideally id like to "photoshop" the image to make it "stand out" ie not simply clean it up but add effects to really make it "POP" as im hearing lately not an over the top effect but something effective.....So what would you experts recommend.....As I say photographically its exactly the best, but perhaps with a little advice from you chaps, I could make it something special etc etc:)

image019.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry, I really didn't have much time to fool around with this, but here's what I could do in about 5 minutes, ie, I only worked on the colors and did a very quick and crude job of reducing all the spider-web fungus or emulsion cracking.

HTH,

Tom M

image019jpg-acr0-ps01a_16pbc-01_sRGB_8bpc.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well like Tom and Lambert have done, I started with the original and cleaned it up.
I needed to do this so I have a starting point.

Original
Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 11.40.40 AM.png

And I adjusted the color.
I converted the image to a Smart Object and added a Smart sharpen filter.
Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 11.44.35 AM.png

I created a new layer and began using a combination of the
Clone Stamp Tool, Brush Tool, and the Spot Healing Brush Tool to correct the blemishes.

Here are the corrections on whit BG for demonstration. This was a lot of work!
Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 11.47.36 AM.png

Here are the corrections on the image.
Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 11.47.55 AM.png

This is the starting point.
The question is what we can do to make the image "POP"!

efisteMom_01.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a lot of bland area behind Mom and baby that can now be used to place the subjects in a better setting. Question is what?

Tom Mann

Guru
efiste2 - Making a photo "pop" can mean wildly different things to different people. It would help us respond to your request if you would get on Google Images and give us links to photos (of a mom & baby) that you think "pop".

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
Hope you don't mind Sam i used the image you created last, to make my image from (great work as always bro):thumbsup:
popped.jpg Really we need the OP to give us some better ideas for what they want 'pop' to mean.

efiste2

Chaps, thats simply excellent many thanks for that, your time and skills are very much appreciated......one more peice of advice, I use elements 6, is there an easy way to crop it so it fits on a 6x4 borderless print, and id like to add another picture or maybe a text onto the picture,