What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to do make this picture

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome. Do you want to know how to create the sepia tone on the image or how to create the text?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are many ways to produce a Sepia tone in an image. I'm not even certain that this is what was used in the sample image you provided. I will have to play with the effect for awhile.

This will do for now.
One of the easiest ways to produce a sepia tone is to use the Photo Filter adjustment layer.
Here are the settings I used.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.06.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.08.41 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As for the text.........

Make sure you set your guides to snap.
I first added center guidelines.
Then I added guidelines showing where I wanted the outside of my box to be.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.10.42 PM.png

On a new layer, I then selected the Rectangle Tool (Not the Rectangular Marquis Tool) and created a white rectangle starting from the center guides.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.11.01 PM.png

I select the "Subtract front shape" from path operations.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.11.13 PM.png

And I create a second shape from the center guides which removes the inner portion.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.11.53 PM.png

On a new layer, I select the Type Tool.
I create the text I want in white.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 2.12.10 PM.png

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
To keep things simple, Sam showed you what is probably the absolute simplest way to get a sepia toning effect within PS. However, there are many variations on sepia toning. For example, do the white areas in the photo stay white, or do they also become sepia toned? What about the deep black areas, do they become visibly sepia toned, or do they simply remain as black? etc. etc.

Here's another fairly simple method that may interest you. Just put a color fill adjustment layer above the photo of interest, set the color to sepia, set the blending mode to "color", and you get something like the attached image.

Also, if you are just learning PS, almost every photo editor software that has ever been made (from the simplest to the most complex) almost always has a sepia toning option. Just Google {sepia toning image editing photo software} or some search phrase like that.

Tom M

Attachments

• Budapest_sunset-tjm01-ps01_sepia_toned-01.jpg
    Budapest_sunset-tjm01-ps01_sepia_toned-01.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 15