What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variables with Images - How to control position?

James Pyle

Me again with another newb question :)

I've setup a huge document that pulls in a lot of data from a CSV file, mostly text, however there are 3 or 4 images that are also pulled in. Text seems to pull in fine, and stay positioned where the variable item is pre-positioned, but the images sometimes do not position where I have the variable image positioned. Usually what happens is each "Apply" I do (for testing) the image moves to the right every time for some reason.

Some images are staying put but others are not. I don't really see any positioning options so I am not really sure what causes the shift. The images that are pulled in are all the same size (height and width)

Things I tried:

- Resizing the Shape on the variable image layer and the images themselves to be exact matches.
- Making the images that are imported as small as possible without space on the edges (this did seem to effect it..as it switched from moving right to moving left on appyling)

Odd because the other 2 images I have never move.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've never seen that happen,. Instead of a base image I make a selection on a blank layer for the size I want and fill it with a color. Then I use that layer for pixel replacement, setting the method to fit and the alignment to center.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 9
@hawkeye , so making a selection filled with color is better than using a shape? In the few times I have used variables, I have always used a selection made with the Rectangular Marquis Tool and filled with 50% grey as my image/photo layer but I did not know it may have made a difference.

Last edited:
@hawkeye , so making a selection filled with color is better than using a shape? In the few times I have used variables, I have always used a selection made with the Rectangular Marquis Tool and filled with 50% grey as my image/photo layer but I did not know it may have made a difference.

I only make a selection with the rectangular marque tool just to know I have a precise size. Other than that I don't think it makes any difference.

Back