What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating light rays from the sun

Bazsl

I am using Photoshop CC. I am a photographer, not a graphic artist. I have a photo that includes the sun just setting behind mountains. I would like to add light rays or light beams radiating upward from the sun. I can get close to what I want using Layer > New Fill Layer > Gradient with the Style set to Angle in the Gradient Fill dialog. In the Gradient Editor I have the following settings:

Gradient Type = Noise
Color Model = HSB
Saturation = zero
Add Transparency = checked

By adjusting the Roughness slider in the Gradient Editor and the Angle in the Gradient Fill dialog and the layer's opacity I can come close to what I want but I can't get the look of the natural light beams that I see outdoors when conditions are right. Can anyone suggest a better way to produce this effect? Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Can you post a screen shot of what you have so far? Or perhaps the original image.

I would try duplicating the original layer.
Make the duplicated layer a Smart Object.
Set the duplicated layers blend mode to Screen.

Apply a Radial Blur filter set to 100, Zoom, best. Set the blurs center to match your sun in your image.
Add a Levels adjustment layer and set levels to your liking.
Add a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer, use colorize, and adjust the rays color to your liking.

Last edited: