What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Quick Questions

Tribegal

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I have two quick questions.

1. How do you create this faded/burnt out effect in the image below in photoshop? It appears this image was turned into a sketch, then something else was done to give the effect. By the way, the black parts are actually transparent.

burnt_out_gun.png

2. How would you create a transparent stroke around text like this in photoshop. Again the black part around the text is actually transparent. Thanks!

transparent stroke.png

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
In your first image, I don't get what you mean by the black is transparent.... what I see is "two shades of gray".... it could be 2 ways - use the dodge tool (with airbrush setting and minimum pressure) on certain areas to lighten the dark gray or Burn tool (with airbrush setting and minimum pressure) to darken the dark gray. Just to add.... the dark gray looks like 90% black to me. The dodge/burn tool won't work if it were 100% black.

In your second image text, you can apply a black stoke effect layer set to OUTSIDE with lowered opacity or a black glow effect set to normal with lowered opacity. Play with the settings to get the outline you prefer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I missed this thread.

Take an image of an AR-15 and remove it's background if needed.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.49.53 PM.png

Now create a new layer below the AR-15 layer and fill with black.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.50.09 PM.png

Select/highlight the the AR-15 layer.
At the bottom of the layers panel, use the half moon "create a new fill or adjustment layer" and add a Threshold adjustment layer.
Adjust to your liking.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.50.18 PM.png

Make a duplicate of all layers.
Merge the duplicated layers. Call it "Dupe Layer" (or whatever)
Turn off all original layers

Select/highlight the dupe layer.
Go to SELECT > COLOR RANGE > with your cursor, click on any black area.
This will make a selection.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.52.28 PM.png

At this point you can hit delete or you can add a layer mask.
All that will be left is the white area.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.52.39 PM.png

Now you can add this to any colored BG you like. Here it is on red.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.53.00 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As for the text.
Here is one of several quick ways to do it.

Start with a colored layer.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.18.08 PM.png

On a new layer create the text you desire and add a stroke to it using the layer style.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.18.24 PM.png

Now for the fun part, on the text layer, right click the FX icon and choose "create layer".
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.18.37 PM.png

This will separate the stroke from the text.
Turn off the text layer.
Select/highlight the stroke layer.
Now make a selection of the text layer by holding Cmd/Cntrl + clicking the text layers thumbnail.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.19.07 PM.png

Again, at this point you can use a layer mask (which I suggest) or you can hit delete.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.19.24 PM.png

Turn of the newly modified stroke layer we just made.
Select/highlight the colored layer (that we first made).
Now make a selection of the newly modified stroke layer by holding Cmd/Cntrl + clicking the newly modified stroke layers thumbnail.
Hit delete or use a layer mask.

You now have a color layer with a stroke cut out.
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.20.26 PM.png

Last edited:

Tribegal

IamSam you are a rockstar! A genius! I recall your thorough and easy to understand reply to a previous thread I made. Thank you so much for this detailed outline. It's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Tribegal

Hello,

I'm bumping this thread to ask another question about the ar 15.

Would converting the image to black and white prior to applying the threshold adjustment make a difference? When I do the adjustment as directed above, using a similar image, it doesn't come out quite like yours IamSam.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It certainly could...............give it a try.