What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Am Dying for this Look for past 4 months 21 days 8 hrs

Wanderlust

Hello Guys -

I am kinda dying to achieve this look for past 4 months. I know its a just another request for you guys, but believe me, I did my best to find this look over internet, saw tons of YouTube video, and read lots of posts before posting here. I knew little about photoshop/lightroom post processing before I saw those photos, and now i can do Lr and Ps post processing with some basic knowledge, and I am still learning.

There is a photographer on Instagram (mod edit: it's "Dylan Furst", not "Dylan frust") whose photos are an inspiration to me. I don't want to copy his style. I believe everyone has his own style, but I just want to learn how to achieve this kind of mood.

If you can suggest Lightroom post processing techniques, that would be great, but Photoshop is good for me, as well.

I am attaching some screen shots of his photos here. If you want to see the actual images for these, not screen shots, or want to see other examples of his work, please search the photographer's name in a image search engine or visit his website.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks for reading my post and for replying
:thumbsup:.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
It all starts with an appropriate photo. For example, no one will ever be able to turn the sharp shadows of a photo taken at noon on a sunny day into the soft light of a rainy or misty day without an absurd amount of work, and even with the most competent photoshopper, it will never look as good as getting the lighting right at the time you capture the image.

Why don't you post one of your own images that you feel is suitable for such a treatment, as well as what you have already accomplished.

Tom Mann

Last edited:

Wanderlust

And here is my result,I did my best to get that mood in Lightroom, i know i am not up to the mark, so i am waiting for experts answers.
After seeing lots of images, i observed that he is playing with "tone curve" and "green" colour.
First i decreased saturation to -25
then lifted black in tone curve to get faded look
tone curve.jpg
after tone curve,i tried playing with green, so in Camera Calibration i increased "Green Primarily" to +85
camera cali.jpg
Here is my final result
mountains-1030915_1920-2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Great! Thank you, Wanderlust. That's a fairly good image to use as a starting point. It's a bit contrasty with quite well defined shadows, but not bad.

I have to be away from my computer for the next 6 or so hours, but I'll be glad to give it a try when I get back. In the interim, I'm sure some of the other regulars here will join in with their suggestions.

CU in a bit.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - One quick comment / suggestion: To start with, instead of raising the overall black level in "curves", to get his faded look, raise the dark level of the green channel more than that of the red and blue channels. Also, adjust the shape of the tone curve(s) to get very low contrast in the darker areas of the image.

Wanderlust

Thanks for suggestion Tom M .But i messed up with my edits :banghead:.I am hoping your and others experts view.Please guys,please have a look at this thread, I am die heart fan of this mood :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Tom Mann I'll be anxiously awaiting your solution to this effect.

I tried, but it's not right.

DylanFurstEffect_01.jpg

DylanFurstEffect_02.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
My goal was to get the stock image looking like the example road image by Dylan Furst that was posted earlier in this thread. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, and it shows. I'm not happy with my results, either. One problem that I had was that I had to use a lot of adjustment layers, doing everything "by eye" even just to get it to this (poor) level. Since Furst has put out a lot of these, there must be a simpler way.

Let me think about this problem and work on it a bit more.

Tom M

Attachments

• mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-00a_original_annotated.jpg
    mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-00a_original_annotated.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-04.jpg
    mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-04.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
...and for the record, this was the image whose style I was trying to emulate...

Attachments

• GOAL_IMAGE-Dylan_Furst-hwy20road.jpg
    GOAL_IMAGE-Dylan_Furst-hwy20road.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
Here's my 2nd go at it. The more distant mountains went too blue instead of staying closer to green, as they are in the goal image. That's easy enough to fix.

Attachments

• mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-05_attempt2.jpg
    mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-05_attempt2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Argos -

You're right. The nearby evergreen trees in my 2nd tweaked image (not the nearby weeds and grasses) are clearly much brighter than all of the evergreen trees in the goal image. They are about as bright as the nearby weeds and grasses in the goal image.

I felt that the more distant trees in my 1st attempt were too dark and was concentrating on lightening them in the 2nd image, but I didn't pay attention to the effects of this on the nearby evergreen trees. The nearby evergreens should also be quite dark, as in the goal image.

Unfortunately, I think we both share exactly the same problem, LOL: Your nearby evergreens are also too bright as compared to the goal image.

One question: Are you using a hardware calibrated monitor?

Also, may I suggest that since the first image that you posted is the result of your work, then you should either change or remove my title from the image which states that this is the original. It's no longer the original. Leaving the incorrect title as is could be very confusing to people.

Cheers,

Tom M

Argos

Guru
Hahaha you're right i took your photo with title, sorry about that i'm going to change it right now, yes i am trying to get that black low contrast without lose all the satured colors the example use.

No i use nec monitor and a low profile spider XD.

Tom Mann

Guru
This is challenging. I thought we would be able to do what was requested using global tweaks, and I didn't think we would have to resort to selecting different areas and tweaking them separately, but it looks like that's what it's coming down to. Hopefully someone will come up with a simpler method, but, FWIW, here's my 3rd attempt. Pls. excuse the quick and dirty masking.

Attachments

• mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-06_attempt3.jpg
    mountains-1030915_1920-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB_16bpc-06_attempt3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Argos

Guru
i am not sure, but i think he maybe uses "umbral" (spanish version of ps) i dont know how is called in english, to add the bright on the first bushes (sunny spots) where you can see white spots on the brightess area. Or maybe i just going crazy looking at the pictures.:eek:

1.jpg2.jpg

Attachments

• 9355ebf55fc3196b68e28f4b435d433a.jpg
    9355ebf55fc3196b68e28f4b435d433a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 25
  • e2f29fadc9067faf93c2df47afc8b2b3.jpg
    e2f29fadc9067faf93c2df47afc8b2b3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Wanderlust

Thanks guys for your efforts and taking precious time for me.Just one request, It would be great if you could add few summary about your edits, so i can learn.
I did my second attempt by playing "tone curve"
wander2.jpg