What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicate layer multiple times at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudunza

There must be a way to duplicate an item multiple times at once, right? That seems like a pretty basic thing. But as far as I've been able to tell, if I want 20 copies of a layer in a document, I have to individually do the "Duplicate Layer" task 20 times. Oy.

Tom Mann

Guru
If you are talking about making a relatively small number of duplicates, say, less than a dozen or so, I just select the layer to be duplicated and hit control-J the required number of times.

If I need more dupes than that, I'll start by using the above procedure to build up several dupes (say, 5), then, select all 5 dupes and repeatedly hit control-J to build up 10, 15, 20, 25, etc. dupes with just a few keystrokes.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
BTW, in the link that Paul provided, the statement:

"...I prefer this method over using Command (Mac) / Control (Win) + J because that shortcut will only duplicate a single layer...."

is incorrect in CC 2014 and 2015, the only version of PS I have on this computer. I tested it on both versions.

That statement may be correct in older versions, but if so, I don't know when the change occurred.

Tom M

Grudunza

Okay, thanks. Just to be clear, there's no way to input a number of duplicates (say, 55). You would have to do the CTRL-J thing multiple times, right?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's probably a way to use an input with a simple ACTION. Let me check on it.

Looks like you will need a script.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Paul!!

I was killing myself scouring the net for a script to do this! I really appreciate all the wonderful script help you provide here!

Status
Not open for further replies.